1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Port Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rivrmstng, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rivrmstng

rivrmstng Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop which is running Vista. The issue I'm having is there are two USB ports on the laptop. The first USB port works fine, however, the second USB port will not recognize any devices plugged into it. I have used devices that work fine on the first USB port, but I do not get any error messages on the 2nd USB port when the same device is plugged in. The device simply does not work on the 2nd USB port.

I have used device manager to scan for new hardware to see if that corrected the issue - it did not.
    I have also deleted all USB ports via device manager and restarted the laptop. After restarting the laptop all USB ports reappreared, however, devices that are recognized by the first USB port is not recognized on the 2nd USB port.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Check with a flashlight to see if you can see any damage inside that USB port....you the working one as a template

3. rivrmstng

rivrmstng Thread Starter

No everything looks fine with the port.

4. Megabite

Megabite

I would say it may be damaged where it meets the motherboard.........have you tried plugging something into that port and gently move it up and then down and see if anything happens......

5. rivrmstng

rivrmstng Thread Starter

I tried 2 different devices that work in the 1st port and I tried wiggling them - nothing.:confused:

6. Megabite

Megabite

You could get a USB hub with its own power supply and have more USB ports that way

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!