USB Port message...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PJ Staley

I have a 4 port USB extension plugged into the back of my computer that sits on my desktop...for convenience sake. Each time I plug my iPod into it to recharge, I get a pop-up balloon informing me that it could perform faster on a different port. How can I turn off that message? I have no intention of crawling behind my computer to plug the device in every time I need to recharge it, so any advice would be most helpful. Thank you. (Windows XP)

What it is telling you is that you have attached a USB 2.0 device to a USB 1.1 port . . short of installing a 2.0 PCI card, you will just have to live with the message. It should work ok, just slower than if it was in a 2.0 port

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, you could buy a USB 2.0 hub for around $10, which would also solve the problem. :) There is a way to turn off that warning, but it escapes me right now...

PJ Staley

I appreciate your answers. The guy at Radio Shack told me it was 2.0 (or at least high speed) Now I am challenged to learn patience (with pop-up balloons)! :eek:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, either the USB port or the hub is USB 1.1, which is why you get the warning.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online