1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb port problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ILLROC, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ILLROC

ILLROC Thread Starter

Hello...
    just need some help with my usb port. Im trying to put pics from my phone using a usb data link cable and itz keeps telling me usb device not recognized. I did the unplug the power cord from my tower no luck... I did the msconfig on the start run no luck... i dont knoe if my usb port is fried or is it sumthing else...Plz help... Thank you

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Can you go to start > Control Panel > click on "System Info" choose the tab called "Hardware" and select Device manager. Tell me if you see a yellow triangle ! or a Question mark anywhere. And can you tell me the exact Make, Model and which version of windows you're using?

3. ILLROC

ILLROC Thread Starter

Hello Victoria...
    I did what you told me to do and there is no yellow triangle and or question mark... I have an emachines t3882 and im running windows xp... I just upgrated to 1gb of memory yesterday but I had the problem prior to upgrading... the usb ports in the back are not working as well

4. ILLROC

ILLROC Thread Starter

i didnt see an auto play... i seen a plug and play and that was started

5. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

I would suggest attempting to remove the USB (uninstall) from Device Manager in SAFEMODE as Administrator. Reboot and let Windows find and reinstall the drivers.

6. ILLROC

ILLROC Thread Starter

now how would i go about doing that? and AC97 sound what is that and the download?

7. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

When you restart your pc hit F8 before windows loads log in SAFEMODE and follow the instructions to get to device manager from the previous post. Right click and uninstall the current USB drivers and then reboot. Windows should find the hardware and reinstall the USB drives.

8. ILLROC

ILLROC Thread Starter

so i would go to system hardware device manager... double click universal serial bus controllers and uninstall all ten thats in the universal serial bus controllers file in safe mode... am i correct?

9. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

You have 10 usb ports listed?

10. ILLROC

ILLROC Thread Starter

yes thats what i counted. sry if i keep asking question i just wanna make sure i dont mess up the computer.

11. ILLROC

ILLROC Thread Starter

theres 4 universal host controllers... 1 universal enhanced host controller... and 5 usb root hubs

12. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

No that's fine. How many USB ports do you have on your tower?

13. ILLROC

ILLROC Thread Starter

looks like 5... 4 in the back and one in the front

14. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

I'm looking into your model e-machine and even uninstalling the usb hub drivers and reinstalling might not even work- It could be a Power Supply issue http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62782.html I'm still digging and other advisers will see this post open as well if I'm not back with a response right away.

When was the last time you're usb ports worked (assuming you've tried them all) and are you sure its not the flash drive?

15. ILLROC

ILLROC Thread Starter

i tried all 5 of them...same thing... probably the last time it worked like 3 months ago but i didnt bother to check it after that...oh and im sry theres 6 usb ports 2 in the front and 4 in the back...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice