1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB port stopped working - no warning or alerts from windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cxm322, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cxm322

cxm322 Thread Starter

My computer has a total of 6 USB ports - 4 in the back and 2 up front (it's a 2-1/2 year old custom built system).

Anyway, All the USB ports always worked.

Never had any problems with any of them. I always use one in the front for my mouse and the other front one is just there for whenever I need it for something else on a rare occasion (like a digital camera or something).

I recently (last month) found out that this one front USB port that I use only on occasion is no longer working. It's completely dead. The last time I used it was about 6 months ago and there were no problems.

No errors or anything else like that, it' just dead, like as if it were a dummy port (although it isn't).

I looked inside the case to see if it somehow was disconnected but it isn't.

My Device Manager is only showing 5 USB ports and I can't figure that out. It should show 6 even if one is not working properly, right?

Could it possibly be fried or something?

I think I read in another thread here that some USB ports have a fuse that can blow and needs replaced. Is that true? Never heard of it until recently. Are these hard to replace?

Any ideas, fixes, etc, would be great.

System:
    WIN XP SP2
    Intel Celeron D 2.4Ghz
    1GB RAM
    Asus P4P800SE Mother Board

Trend Micro scan - clean
    Ad-aware scan - clean
    SB S&D scan - clean
    CWShredder scan - clean
    Windows Defnder scan - clean
    HJT log - no bad or weird entries. All recognized and valid.

2. Zayl1

Zayl1

Well, I'm in the same boat in a way.. I just bought a new case and now both front USB ports are dead.. I hope someone replys to this that has more experience

3. cxm322

cxm322 Thread Starter

Well, in your case Zayl, I'd return for a new one since it's a new case. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/670551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice