1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB port stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by derekt82, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derekt82

derekt82 Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba A100, 12 months old, with 4 USB ports. In recent days one of them has stopped working. Device manager shows no problems. I have also downloaded and run usbready.exe and it reckons all is well. I have plugged several devices into the port (mouse, memory stick, wireless modem etc) all of which work on other ports but nothing seems to be recognised on the troublesome port. Is there anything else that I can do to diagnose the problem? - Derek

2. jamesx121

jamesx121

which Toshiba A100 do you have?
    A100-001 or A100-772??

if you have the 400.00$ A100-001 ---I would say live with it.

if 800.00$ A100-772 my recommendation would be to shop around to see who will give you the best price to diagnose your laptop problem

sounds like either the usb port its self is cracked or a wire has come loose.
    the wire hasn't totally broken off because Device manager still sees the port.
    but it is loose enough to corrupt the data transfer.
    that why nothing works in the port.

could be totally off base---
    but if the A100-772 800.00$ its worth it to pay a shop for a diagnosis
    once you find out for sure you can still live with-it if cost to much to repair

3. derekt82

derekt82 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not sure which A100 - bought it in Malaysia last year on my way back to Australia from a visit to Europe.

I am going back to Malaysia next month and I'll take it back to the shop I bought it from and see if they can diagnose it. Cost of labour is much cheaper there than Australia and make a decision.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/712868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice