1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Port Stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dannyg10, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyg10

dannyg10 Thread Starter

I tried installing a new scanner using my front USB Port but it did not work. I unplugged it from my front USB Port and used a rear port and it worked. Now my front USB Port will not read my flash drives which I use daily for quick backups. I tried a restore by backing dating one day, three days and a week but no luck. The divice manager does not indicate a problem with any USB Controllers but I can't tell which one is Drive K which is the one that is no longer working. I tried disabling the USB Root hubs and restarting but that did not restore the USB Port. What will restore this drive? Can I do a test to see if it is ruined now? Help!:eek:

2. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

This problem is a pain in the... backside.

I had exactly the same issue, I found patience was the key - the process somewhere was getting "stuck".

Insert a USB key and leave it in there. If you use your PC for a few hours then eventually it may detect the device and work normally from then on (worked for me).

It could be that the USB port has completely stopped working - to test this plug in a usb keyboard and see if you can enter the BIOS.

3. dannyg10

dannyg10 Thread Starter

By USB key I think you mean a device such as a flash drive. I inserted a flash drive memory stick and we'll see what happens. As for a usb keyboard, I don't have one but maybe a friend will. I see later. Thanks or the reply and I'll test it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/816564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice