1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB ports and memory card reader not working correctly

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Roscoe182, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roscoe182

Roscoe182 Thread Starter

My USB ports and memory card reader have all of a sudden stopped working correctly . the mem card slots i cant tell if they are working at all but the usb ports are still sending power as iv still be able to charge my mp3 player but it just will not send any data .. this is made even more frustrating as i was using them both less that 10 hours ago iv not installed any new software and i have not changed any hardware so tbh im completely at a loss as to why they arnt working .

iv done only the basic things to attempt to get them working again.. i un-installed them from device manager and let windows re-install them to no avail . I also went in to my bios and made sure that the ports were enabled .. they were ..

any help you could give would be very much appreciated .

2. jpdepucci

jpdepucci

Try downloading and updating the system BIOS. Then download the latest chipset drivers for your machine and re-install.

I've actually had an instance on my work laptop where the USB ports- all 3 of them did not work. I had to replace the system board in this case.

Sometimes charging electronic devices through USB ports will zap your system.
    It happend to me. External USB drive to be precise is what blew mine.

3. jedigesus

jedigesus

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/990343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice