USB ports and System Restore, XP reinstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

65darkhorse

I've got problems with my USB ports and System Restore.

I recently bought a Sony digital camera and when I installed the software, I got this message on startup:"Image Transfer - Failed to initialize application. Restart your computer and try again." I ended up uninstalling the POS Sony software since I can access my pics via windows explorer (camera is seen as a drive). Much easier.

However ...

I've got a Thomson Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem that has 'failed to syncronize.' Its connected via USB, not ethernet. It seems that the Sony software is in conflict with the modem connection.

**I'm no computer genius,**but I did the following:

• Removed Sony software.
  • Reinstalled modem software.
  • Attempted system restore, 3 different points. All seem to work (didn't get error messages) but pc hasn't reverted to back to last point.

I found it odd that the pc was trying to dial out using the internal Lucent modem and also dialing a number for my previous ISP. I played around with device manager, and while I can see and select the Thomson USB modem, it always reverts back to the Lucent modem. In the USB modem setup, I cannot even 'see' the Thomson to select it.

At this point, I've been without my internet connection for 10 days and its driving me nuts. Its my primary means of keeping in touch with everyone back in the states.

Can I just save all my files/pics/songs to a cd, and in the Control Panel install/remove Windows XP ?? Being absolutely stupid, what would happen then ? Would it revert back to that craptacular Windows Millenium I upgraded from ? Would I get a blue screen ? Or can I just reinstall XP over itself without removing it first ?? I realize that I would have to reinstall all my other software and drivers for all my peripherals, but don't mind doing so if it fixes the USB conflict.

I realize that this is somewhat a radical fix, but having recently moved to paris and I dont know anyone that is more computer literate than me (that surprises even me).

tia !!

darkhorse

You should be able to repair your installation from the CD.
Put your WinXP CD in the drive and follow along. As long as you don't tell it to do a clean install, it should be able to fix things with out destroying your data. You won't even have to reinstall your programs.

The only snag that may come-up is the part about being an up-grade install. Up-grades can cause problems that are hard to track down.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online