1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Ports are no longer recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DPDISXR4Ti, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DPDISXR4Ti

DPDISXR4Ti Thread Starter

Computer is a Dell D630 running in a docking station with Windows XP SP3

Recently I had a problem with an AdAware upgrade which caused my system to go into terminal blue-screen re-boot mode. I solved that by rolling back my system to a stable mode, and all seemed to be fine (and yes, I uninstalled AdAware and will not ever use it again). I provide this info as background since it was a fairly recent event - it may or may not be related to my problem however.

Today I went to upload some pics from my USB-connected camera, and my computer isn't seeing the camera. Tried a different camera, same thing. Tried a thumb-drive, nothing. Tried all the USB ports, including the ones in the docking station, nothing.

I've tried everything I'd read about "fixing" USB ports going away, to no avail. Powered everything down and disconnected overnight, no change. From Device Manager I Uninstalled all my USB drivers and then let them reinstall. That all seemed to go fine, but no change in the final outcome - nothing works when connected to any USB.

FWIW, the USB-connected device will get power when connected, it's just not otherwise communicating.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

2. DPDISXR4Ti

Nobody has any ideas? Re-install the OS maybe?

3. black-wolf

black-wolf

Try rmoving the power cord and the battery and hold down the start button for about 30 seconds. Reconnect the battery and power see if that helps.

4. DPDISXR4Ti

Yep, already did all that. Let it sit overnight completely disconnected with no battery. No change - it's like the USB ports don't exist. Device Manager seems to think otherwise though and gives me a, "This device is working properly." message for all of them.

5. DPDISXR4Ti

Is there anything in the BIOS setup I could/should try? Otherwise, I think I need to do an OS re-install, but not even sure what's involved there and what precautions I'd need to take before proceeding.

6. black-wolf

black-wolf

Have you looked in device manager to see if ther are any yellow symbols? It should look something like this:

Attached Files:

7. DPDISXR4Ti

Device Manager shows everything working fine. I've uninstalled all USB drivers and let them re-install. That all went fine, but yet, still all USB ports are not communicating.

8. black-wolf

black-wolf

Is your windows up to date?

9. Deathstalker

Deathstalker

Try reinstalling your Chipset drivers, look them up either at the computer or motherboard manufacturers website in order to find them.

10. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Is Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor
    Start
    set to 4? That would be 'Disabled'. Should be set to 3.
    I would further check the windows\inf \usbstor.inf file (which you can backup and replace from a computer with same OS) to be sure this file wasn't changed (Common Sections) to Disable the item.

11. DPDISXR4Ti

Good question, as I'm thinking the answer is "no". I am running SP3, but this is my old company laptop which used to have all updates pushed out to me (while still employed there). In fact, I'm wondering if I'll even have the ability to go out and update as that capability might be locked down. Hmmmmm.....

12. DPDISXR4Ti

Thanks for the input. Will try this if some of the other avenues don't provide the fix.

BTW, just as another data point, I did try booting in safe mode and still no USB communication.

13. DPDISXR4Ti

Thanks, I will investigate this and report back later. Need to run out for a bit right now. Also, for further background, you can see the thread I have on the Ad-Aware forum which includes a dump file they had me run.... http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/32588-perpetual-re-boot-after-ad-aware-10-upgrde/

14. DPDISXR4Ti

I was not up to date, but now I am and no change - USB's are all still dead as rocks.

15. DPDISXR4Ti

Checked the USB Start registry key and indeed it is set to "3".

On your second suggestion, I'm not finding a "inf" directory under windows.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060670