1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Ports being 'Highly selective'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Commy1, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Commy1

Commy1 Thread Starter

Hey all, So I've got a USB port problem and I've tried everything I can think of, read articles and done updates and watched youtube video's. Nothing is working.

I'm running:
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Gateway ID49C

It started yesterday when I plugged my portable card reader into my laptop. I need to transfer embroidery files to my memory card. My laptop recognized that I had plugged something into it, but it came up saying it'd failed to install the driver. So I tried again and nothing at all. Didn't even acknowledge it. I then tried to use my USB flash drives. 1 out of 3 worked properly, the others ended up much the same as the card reader, failed driver install, then complete rejection. The 1 that did work was my Windows Boot Flash.
    Then when I tried my 1TB external harddrive it ran and continues to run in any port.

I went into the System Hardware and checked the USB drivers, all appear to be working normally. When looking under 'Power' it shows that there is something there, reading "Unknown Device", so basically the card reader is recognized as leeching power from the USB port but nothing else.

I've tried:

Plugging it into different ports
    Checking the driver update
    Disabling, and re enabling the driver
    restarting my computer

Nothing has thus far worked and I really really need to get these files onto the card. If anyone at all can help ASAP it'd be much appreciated.

Dan

2. wjbrown1981

wjbrown1981

have you tried uninstalling the driver completely and letting windows find it again? thats worked for me before in the past.

3. Commy1

Commy1 Thread Starter

Ok I'll try that. Just a verification question though. Which driver would I reinstall? Chipset?

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Hello, Commy1, welcome to Techguy! More often then not, problems with specific devices being recognized are hardware related, meaning the device you want to connect has a problem. If even one device can be successfully connected to the port, then the port itself is OK, and you aren't likely to have a problem with Windows, otherwise it's unlikely that any device would be detected correctly.The easiest way to test that is to take the problem hardware and plug it into another computer. If they work OK, then you have a problem with Windows. If the device doesn't work correctly, it's bad.

5. Commy1

Commy1 Thread Starter

I tried plugging my USB keys and the card reader into my girlfriends computer and they all worked just fine.
    I will try uninstalling the USB Driver and reinstalling. Again, clarification, I'll be uninstalling the Chipset driver? I don't want to mess this up.

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

You aren't likely to mess up anything that isn't already fouled up. I don't see any reason to uninstall the chipset driver. I'd look at other problems first. If your device is flagged with an exclamation point in Device Manager, try uninstalling the hardware in Device Manager, shut down the computer, remove the device, then restart and plug in the device after the reboot is complete. Does the hardware work now?

7. Commy1

Commy1 Thread Starter

Ok, so I uninstalles the USB drivers, reinstalled them and tested them. Working just the same as before though it did recognize the USB keys again, a bubble came up saying driver installing, and then failure.

I'm going to try formatting the keys and going again.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Will keep up to date.

8. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Instead of uninstalling your USB drivers, I suggested you uninstall the specific device that was having a problem, shut down, physically remove the device and restart the computer, and plug it in after the restart is complete. Maybe I'm confused, but I think you misunderstood my instructions. If I'm not clear, just tell me so and I'll try to be more explicit.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice