1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb ports died suddenly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by badgermom, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. badgermom

badgermom Thread Starter

All four of my usb ports died suddenly. They have power enough to light up a thumb drive. They do not appear in the device manager, although the controllers do appear. Any suggestions?

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

Sounds like it might be a corrupted USB driver or similar. Open device manager, and uninstall ALL entries under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers entry (right click on each and uninstall). When done, right click on any other main entry, and click 'Scan for new hardware'. Let windows install the drivers it needs, then reboot TWICE. See if that fixes it.

Scorp.

3. badgermom

badgermom Thread Starter

I deleted them all and restarted twice. The controllers reinstalled along with drivers, but I still have no usb ports. Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager, I have Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller, Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller, and 2 USB Root Hubs.

4. Scorpion

Scorpion

Ok, this could be something quite simple, or more advanced. From what you wrote, I am assuming that this is a PCI board with USB points on it (PCI to USB Host Controller), or something similar. If so, power down the machine, open it up and remove the USB PCI card, make sure the contacts are clean, and the PCI port is clean, then reinstall it. If there are any front usb ports on the case, ensure that the cables from them are connected properly.

Let us know how it goes.

Scorp.

5. badgermom

badgermom Thread Starter

usb is hard wired on the motherboard. No PCI board with USB. I have an A8N-VM CSM motherboard.

6. frankjohn

frankjohn

Go into bios and check usb settings?

7. badgermom

badgermom Thread Starter

Done. Everything is enabled. Could this be a windows problem?

8. badgermom

badgermom Thread Starter

I also tried a system restore. It didn't help.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You may have simply had a hardware failure, that's what it's starting to sound like.

If they've truely died, you can install an inexpensive PCI USB 2.0 board to solve the issue, cheaper than buying a new MB.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes JW but that board is fairly new and Asus will replace it for up to 3 years...damn Asus boards are really getting terrible this year and that is what it sounds like. I have see XP repair and "wipe and load" fix that problem at times though, and not for any known reason!
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

11. badgermom

badgermom Thread Starter

Would your opinion be the same if it were (and it is) both the rear and front usbs not working?

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Mine would....

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As long as you can remove the MB and ship it back, not to mention living without the system for a few weeks, then you can ship it back. OTOH, many folks don't have that luxury. :)

14. badgermom

badgermom Thread Starter

I don't have the luxury of living without it, but I will go buy a USB board and keep my fingers crossed!

15. erick295

erick295

You can probably do an advanced exchange, where they will send you the new board and charge your credit card for it, then give you a refund once they receive the old one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/512109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice