1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB ports dont exist anymore...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Manopka, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Manopka

Manopka Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 (M5030) and it has three USB ports. Two right next to each other and one closer to the front of the laptop. One day I was just using my laptop and ejected then unplugged my external hard drive.

Ever since then the two USB ports right next to each other wont work at all but the single one works perfectly fine. The two non-working ports dont recognize devices that work on the working port nor do they provide any power to any devices whatsoever.

Ive searched and searched and have tried these things: uninstalling the USB controllers in the Device Manager and restarting multiple times. Ive tried a complete system restore. Ive updated the BIOS via the Dell website.[​IMG]

I dont know what to do and its extremely inconvenient having only one USB port...[​IMG] The USB hub i have is working but when i plug certain things in it causes other devices to freak out.

2. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

It's possible that the ports are damaged. If you short out a USB port enough times it will stop working (possibly by a fault with the hard disk you plugged in). Hopefully that isn't the problem, but that would be my opinion. Maybe somebody will be able to give you a more optimistic answer.

3. Manopka

Manopka Thread Starter

Thats highly unfortunate. Do you think if i bought a different USB hub I'd have less problems with devices connecting and disconnecting whenever I plug another one in?

4. dai

dai

do a usb reset

in the device manager click on view at the top and in the dropdown
    show hidden devices
    then uninstall all listed usb items
    turn the computer off
    unplug usb plugs
    reboot twice
    replug in the usb plugs

5. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Never heard of that - what does that do?

6. dai

dai

you uninstall them and windows reinstalls them on the reboot,and usually corrects the problem

7. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Does Windows mark them as "bad ports" then and a driver reinstall fixes?

I remember a few years back people in college were sticking things in them as a joke to short them out and restart the victims computer! After a while a lot of the USB ports had stopped working much to the annoyance of the IT dept (!).

8. dai

dai

if thoughtless dimwits deliberately shorted them out then replacement is the only cure

9. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

LOL it was a case of one person discovered the "restart" trick and then everybody thought it was funny. Probably didn't realise why it was restarting, ie to try and stop damage from electrical shorting(!)

Anyway, back to the original question. Did dai's solution work for you?

10. Manopka

Manopka Thread Starter

Nope it didnt work. Ive actually done that twice before except without the hidden device part. but upon reboot I did notice something strange. I took a snapshot of it.

[​IMG]

This kinda makes sense since there are three USB ports on this computer and two of them arent working. So one of the ROOT Hubs is being detected but th eother two arent. Its looked the same for about half an hour now.

11. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

12. Manopka

Manopka Thread Starter

WHich one? "AMD USB Filter, v.1.0.15.99, A01" or "AMD USB Filter, v.1.0.15.94, A00"

13. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

The newest one which should be 99 A01. There are also dates when they where updated.

14. Manopka

Manopka Thread Starter

Kinda confusing since A00 was released after A01? but ill give it a try

15. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

That's why I mentioned the dates. I have no idea why they number them in that fashion.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice