1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb ports gone!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by swellfella, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swellfella

swellfella Thread Starter

After formatting my hd and installing WinXP, my usb ports are no longer listed in the device manager. How do I go about identifying and locating the needed drivers? :confused:

2. MontyL

MontyL

What were you running before the format?

In the pile of goodies that came with your machine (or motherboard, if you built it yourself) do you have a Drivers disk or CD?

Next question; how old is the machine / motherboard? Is it listed in Windows Catalog? If not, you're probably out of luck, unless the manufacturer's website has a download that addresses this issue.

3. swellfella

Thanks, MontyL. At least now I know where not to look. But I must admit, even this is greek to me. Would supplying the info further aid you in diagnosing my problem? I hope so. Again, thanks so much for your assitance.
    Oh--I was formally running WinME.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Build 2600
    System Manufacturer AWARD_
    System Model AWRDACPI
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1466 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 5/23/2002
    SMBIOS Version 2.2

4. MontyL

MontyL

A little information goes a long way sometimes. :)

Fairly recent Award BIOS on an ACPI compliant motherboard, sporting an AMD processor, all in all a good place to start! Full XP compatibility quite likely, better chance of obtaining XP drivers than if it were older.

The most useful tidbit, though, is the make and model of the motherboard (or if a factory system like Dell, HP, Compaq, its make and model). With it, we know exactly which drivers you need to get XP to recognize the USB controller(s) and can point you where you need to download them from. :)

Barring specific details, many times the identity of the north bridge (one of the largest chips on the motherboard, usually within a short distance of the CPU) is enough to work from if you can't find the model number on the board. Additionally, the BIOS identifier string that appears at the bottom of the screen during memory testing and IDE device identification is a great piece, many times nailing the board's identity. :) Tap the Pause key next time you start it, once the white-on-black text shows, and write it down.

An example: The BIOS string i440BX-IT8671-2A69KL19C-80 narrows the motherboard down as a "Lucky Star" motherboard which has an Intel 440 BX chipset on board. From there, I would check Intel (440BX is "mature" and prior to Windows XP, so this particular one would probably be a dead end) or try to find the manufacturer (which I just did and Lucky Star appears to have folded).

Since you have some information already, and I don't want to leave you empty-handed, right-click and "save target as" this link: Award 6.0 User Guide - Mr. BIOS Tech Support (you can left-click it to view it in your web browser, but I suggest saving a copy for future reference). It is 160K bytes (tiny), so you can save it to floppy if you need to move it around.

5. swellfella

MonthL thanx so much. You are a veritable fount of info. Based on your data, I was able to identify, locate, and install the drivers needed to get me up and running. Again, your input was priceless. I was qouted a price of "80" bucks for a "friend" to "striaghten me out." Some friend.

6. MontyL

MontyL

Glad to be of service!

Go easy on the praise, though... might get a swelled head. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice