1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Ports Killing my flash drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jtoast, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jtoast

Jtoast Thread Starter

I have a problem on 2 different systems that just started about 3 weeks ago.

Specs for computer 1

Windows XP 64
    2Gig OCZ DDR
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium
    AMD 4400x2
    GeForce 7800GTX
    Turbo-Cool 510 Express SLI power supply

Specs for Computer 2
    Windows XP Home
    1Gig cheap DDR
    Asus P5P800
    Intel P4 530J (3Ghz)
    Turbo-Cool 510 Express SLI power supply

Both machines are using this case

Machine 1 also has a PCI usb card which adds another 4 usb ports.

Now to the problem. If I attempt to use a USB flash drive in any of the usb ports on these 2 machines(yes, i have tried them all at least once) it immediatly kills the drive. no error message, no indication it found the drive and no flash of the drive led. They simply don't work afterword. I have numerious other USB devices attached (keyboard, mouse, digital camera, card reader, headset) which all work fine. Disconnecting all usb devices and trying the drive by itself has no effect on the problem.

The drives work fine in my 3rd and 4th box before I try them on machine one and machine 2. After being subjected to machine 1 and 2 neither will work in 3 or 4.

I have tried several different makes and models of flash drive and they all die.

Each machine is on a separate circuit in my home and multiple circuits have been tried.

I am fairly sure this is some kind of power issue but I am not sure how to test the voltage on the ports.

Can someone give me some help here?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you've tried PCI card ports, and presumable the ports on the MB, I'm at a loss. You also have different MB's. I'd have to see this one...

3. Jtoast

Jtoast Thread Starter

Yea believe me posting here was kind of my last resort..heh. Techie pride ya know. :D

4. JohnWill

Well, that one's sufficiently strange that you don't have to be ashamed to post it. :D I can't imagine exactly what's happening. The only thing that comes to mind is to check the 5V pins of the USB ports, but it's hard for me to imagine that multiple ports and two different machines have the same issue.

Maybe this is a new hardware killing virus. ;)

"Joke alert in case anyone thought I was serious."

5. Jtoast

Jtoast Thread Starter

The machines only have 2 components in common. The case and the powersupply.

I have considered moving one of the powersupplies to either my 3rd or 4th box to see if the problem moves but the possibility of it being the cause is so remote I'm hesitant to go through the hassle of doing it.

6. JohnWill

They are both running of a single P/S? :confused:

7. Jtoast

Jtoast Thread Starter

no i mean they have the same make/model powersupply and case.

8. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

If you've got a basic multimeter.......

http://www.pccables.com/cabtech.htm

(5v Power on pin #1)

You could also use your Mobo manual, they always have header pinout diagrams.
    It's pretty straightforward though.

The only common link as you say is those power supplies, but it's an odd one for sure.
    Especially as you report no other USB problems on other gear.

9. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Gentlemen, I must follow this thread, this is really interesting.
    I don't know that an add-inn card has any voltage regulating ability, so that would infer that the 5V rail from the PSU must be pretty high to cause destruction.

I did some tests with Everest and found that the indicated voltages were pretty accurately matched by readings with a digital meter.
    (I found errors with other programs or less accurate comparisons)
    Although this relies on sensors I found it was quite an interesting experiment.

Have you given the Everest program a run?
    I think you can still get it here.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Another consideration is if the USB sockets were on the case front for instance and had the leads miswired.
    I have struck that where the leads had the grouped single pin connectors to the M/B header.

That could be an expensive exercise if you were using 16 gig flashdrives!

qldit.

10. Larry227

Larry227

I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering if the problem was ever resolved. I just started having the exact same problem as the original poster. It's happened on two machines also. The one it started on was
    Asus P5LD2 w/D930 dual core 3.0
    2gb PC3200
    74gb sata Raptor
    200gb sata Maxtor
    7800GT
    600w ps
    XP Pro sp2

I first realized a problem a few days ago. I plugged in a 2gb Cruzer and it wouldn't recognize it. I then tried it on three other machines and it wouldn't work on them either. So then I tried an older 512mb micro cruzer. Same thing happened. Now these were working the last time I used them which would be a couple weeks ago.

Now comes the interesting part. The next day I received my new parts for an upgrade so I built this
    Asus P5K-SE w/E6850 core2 duo 3.0
    2gb Crucial Ballistix 8500
    XFX 8800GT
    Same 74gb Raptor
    Same 200gb Maxtor
    Same 600w ps

I booted to the XP Pro cd w/sp2 and formatted and clean install then proceeded to update board drivers, re-install programs etc.
    Today I brought home another 2gb cruzer I had in my toolbox. I plugged it into my new machine and it worked fine. I safely removed the device using the thingy by the clock. I then put it in another machine and it worked fine. Note: This other one was a different machine than any before. Then safely removed it and plugged it back into mine. It worked once more. I then safely removed it and wnet back to the other machine. That was all she wrote. It will no longer work on any machine in the house. Even worse, like a fool I decided to try my Motorola Razr phone in mine because I'm out of usb sticks now. I think I killed it too. Now it's not recognized on my machine nor on my laptop where it always worked (Using Motorola Phone Tools).

So only 3 things in common. Hard drives and the power supply. Everest shows my +12v at 13.13 and my +5v at 5.59. Is that too high?
    Sorry for the long post but this is driving me crazy and I didn't want to leave anything out. Any help would be appreciated.

11. jamtarts

jamtarts

hi,

having similar problems, I have a couple of PCs and I've lost a couple of USB drives. I have a 2gb Sandisk which seems to lose anything that's on it (although this formats again and is still able to be used) and also 2 3.5 drives in seperate USB enclosures and a 2.5 drive in a USB enclosure.

At the moment these 3 drives appear dead to other machines and I've not been able to re-use them yet, I will try another couple of new enclosures soon. I also think it has damaged an XD card through my old Fuji digital camera, although at the time I thought this was the camera at fault and returned it to the shop.

The one common link I can see with this problem is my laptop. I'm not sure the cause of it but I'll keep plugging away and see if any answers jump out at me. I'm actually thinking of returning the laptop to see if this is faulty.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/478569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice