USB Ports No Longer Working Please Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

laylak

Hi, I really hope someone can help me I am at my wits end over my computer at the moment.

Last night after my computer working fine for the year and a half that I had it, it suddenly froze. Upon reboot I had the dreaded mup.sys error. I couldn't get into XP most of the time and the only times that I could either in safe mode or normal mode it would freeze seconds after loading windows up so I couldn't do anything anyway.

I read through all the messages relating to mup.sys on this and other forums. Tried everything that I could, however I didn't do anything with actual hardware because I know nothing about opening up the pc etc so eventually I got back into windows by following these instructions:

http://www.digitalwebcast.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658

However what I didn't know was that someone had turned my system restore off, so after completing these instructions I lost many of settings and drivers etc. But I can get into XP again without it freezing up. Anyway this morning I tried to re-install my dsl modem. I have two, and one of them makes the computer freeze whenever I plug the usb or the ethernet cable into the back of the computer. It also came up with an error msg I have never seen before like a black screen with a red message saying something about out of range H:70v (I think) and V: 85 khz or something similar that is just off memory. I assume this has something to with power.

The other dsl modem does nothing when plugged in. The USB light doesn't come on - there is no response at all as though the USB is dead.

Can someone please tell me what is happening to my computer before I end up spending heaps of money on taking it to a tech! Thanks heaps. Layla

pugmug

Banned
Well, it's a little late to say this but I would have tried a repair not a recovery of xp using the xp cd. Anyway as your computer is still messed up and you have lost settings and drivers why not do a fresh install of xp using the cd and start over. Or go in device manager and see which parts need drivers and download them.

laylak

I have managed to sort out most of the drivers etc that I have lost. The main problem is that the USB is not working at all. When I plug my dsl modem into the usb port at the back of the computer, no usb light comes on.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It sounds like the USB ports aren't even getting initialized. It almost sounds like the USB controller has died, or you've blown the MB fuses for the ports.

Did you open Device Manager, uninstall ALL the stuff under USB Controllers, and reboot?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

Assuming there are no other major issues, the worst case scenario is simply that you will need to install an enhanced USB PCI card (20-40 bucks).

If you have a free slot, or can free one up -- you can do this yourself at a fraction of the cost a tech will charge you. It's basically a just plug it in and reboot a couple of times operation.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online