1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB ports not being recognized in Win 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by t_l_miller, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t_l_miller

t_l_miller Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have an issue with a new printer install that I'm hoping you all can help with. Just purchased a new multi-function (Epson CX6600) for use on my desktop. System is an older Pentium II, 233 MHz, with 2 built-in USB ports (circa 1998), running with Win2000 (system originally used Win 95).

The printer software was loaded on the system seemingly without incident, until it prompted me to print a test page, which is when I got an error message that said the printer was not connected (i.e., not recognized).

I attempted to delete and reinstall the drivers, this time from Epson's website, but with the same results. Then a friend suggested that the USB ports on my system were incompatible (1.0 or 1.1 vs. 2.0????) and that a USB 2.0 PCI card would solve the problem. Again, installation of the card and software seemed to go fine, but the same result.

The only other piece of information I can add is that when I tried to troubleshoot the problem with Epson on the phone (this was all before the PCI card attempt), the Epson tech had me look in Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus controller. I was told that I was supposed to see 3 things there: 'USB Printing Support', 'USB 2.0 MFB', and 'Imaging Device'.

None of the 3 items were there before I put in the PCI card. Now the only one NOT there is 'Imaging Device'. After I put in the PCI card and reloaded the software, there was a yellow exclamation point next to the 'USB 2.0 MFB' line item. The properties of that line item showed the Epson CX6600, but that the drives were not installed properly. Again I tried to reinstall but with the same result.

That's all I can offer for an explanation. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can all pass along.

Terry M.

2. birdsg

birdsg

I don't know, but I'm having the same issues running a Pent. III withwin 98se. I'm about to return the new printer cx6600 to office max and try to resolve the problem that way. Seems there are no software fixes for the usb 2.0 issue and you tried the pci card upgrade!

birdsg

3. t_l_miller

t_l_miller Thread Starter

hi birdsg,

I actually had success with the install late last week. It turned out to be the usb.inf file that wasn't installed correctly through Windows. An Epson support person helped walk me through it. He did a great job, but I'm totally unhappy about the fact that you have to pay L.D. charges to call their tech service people. The least they can do is offer an 800 # for the first 90 days.

Hope this helps.

Terry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice