1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Ports not recognizing any devices, but still providing power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mheimbu2, Apr 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mheimbu2

mheimbu2 Thread Starter

I have an Acer Aspire M5 481PT-6644 running Windows 8.1. While using a wireless mouse, the mouse became disconnected from my computer (not physically disconnected, but an error message popped up saying the device was not recognized). I pulled out the USB wireless transmitter, plugged it back in, and it re-connected with my computer. Shortly thereafter the mouse became disconnected again (same thing as before with an error message) and now no USB device will connect to my computer. I will get power from the USB port, but it will never recognize devices and nothing shows up when I scan for new devices.

My computer has 2 usb 3.0 ports and neither port works. I made sure to try multiple devices and check that these were working on other computers.

I first tried deleting all of the USB drivers (every driver listed under the "Universal Serial Bus Controller" section in the device manager) and then restarting the computer, but the problem remained.

I tried using a system restore point, but the USB ports still weren't recognizing devices even after the restore (though I am not 100% the restore point was far enough back since I tried a lot of different things before doing the restore).

I changed the power settings for the USB port so that the power was always on, still nothing (I was always getting power through the ports, it just wasn't recognizing devices).

I went to some computer techs and they had me change the boot order in BIOS and used a USB thumb drive to boot the computer into Ubuntu from the USB drive, but once loaded USB devices wouldn't work in Ubuntu either. Before booting from a USB we just tried plugging in the thumb drive, which had a light built in that showed when the device was being read. When the thumb drive was first plugged in the light would turn on for a second and then turn off, after a few second the light would flash for maybe a second or two and then turn off again and wouldn't light up again (not really sure what that means).

After about two hours of trying things, they told me that it must be a hardware issue, but I am not sure how I could load an operating system from a USB thumb drive if it was a hardware issue.

I am trying to hold off on a system refresh or anything that would wipe programs from the computer since I have several proprietary programs that are difficult to reinstall. I contacted Acer and they wanted to charge me over $300 for help, so I would also like to avoid that. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If the hardware isn't working in two different OS's, that generally indicates a hardware fault. It could simply be faulty (ie: not completely dead) and thus operation is intermittent.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  4. mheimbu2

mheimbu2 Thread Starter

I had tried deleting the hidden drivers before, but tried again from following that link. I didn't have any luck. I couldn't complete all of the suggestions because Windows 8.1 apparently doesn't have the INFCACHE.1 to be able to delete it.

I have had several techs tell me it could be a hardware issue, but I am just really skeptical (or just out of my league). We tried for 2 hrs various methods and constantly checking with USB devices. It seems too coincidental, that it happened to work when we booted from USB, for it to be just intermittently working.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    As they don't work in Linux, altering/changing anything in Windows isn't likely to solve the problem. NONE of the Windows installation is used when booting with Linux. That's the whole point of booting with a Linux disc, to rule out the installed OS/drivers/config as the cause of the problem.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Is it still under warranty ?

I can't see how a hardware fault would let it boot from a Usb stick but then the Usb ports don't work in Ubuntu, I would have said that's a problem in Ubuntu itself but the ports not working in 8.1 either seems to rule that out too.

7. mheimbu2

mheimbu2 Thread Starter

Unfortunately I am not under warranty. Acer wanted $330 for a repair.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice