Usb ports not recognizing memory sticks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LiamLiam

Hi, I am a first time user of this site, I have a Acer Aspire 5001 Wl Mi Laptop running windows xp. The usb ports will only recognize one type of Flash stick(first that was used), they operate ok with the mouse plugged in, but not other sticks. I may have removed some programs in the past, and may have removed something that was important for these ports. Can someone please suggest, how I may start to find the root of this problem. As I am a relative beginner to computer fixing, your instructions would be much appreicated.

Many thanks

Liam

What happens when you plug in one of the "other" sticks? Any chimes or other indication?
Have you looked in My Computer to see if the drive is there?
Try attaching the stick, then booting.

LiamLiam

The computer does not recognises any other type of stick, the wizard tries to load ,but then says that there is an error.
Where would I look to see if the driver is there? and if it is not there how would I get another one?

Look in Device manager for missing USB drivers.
What is the error message?

Try checking your bios
During bootup usually pressing DEL key will bring you into the bios
and Enable USB controller.Or install drivers again...........

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online