1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Ports Not Work: "Windows cannot start the hardware device because..."

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DocShock, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DocShock

DocShock Thread Starter

All of my USB Ports just stopped working. When I go to the device manager and check them I get the code 19 error:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.

I wasn't even in the registry and I have no idea how to restore the old settings that are apparently damaged.

I check microsoft and they said this:

A registry problem was detected.

This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey. Try these options:

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

Click Uninstall, and then click Scan for hardware changes to load a usable driver.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration,which rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.

I did all those things and they still do not work. I think it is likely that I'll have to manual restore the registry valves for each USB port - but I have no idea how.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I am having a horrible night. Please someone show me how to fix this in the registry. I do not have system restore running so I can't use that. I hope no one ever has luck like this...

2. DocShock

DocShock Thread Starter

Does anyone know anything I can try in the registry? I really don't want to have reinstall Windows again.

Thanks very much in advance.

3. DocShock

DocShock Thread Starter

Found this on another forum, does any know if it will work:

PS - i was for optical drives, not USB ports though.

1. Click Start.
    2. Click Run.
    3. In the "Open" field type REGEDIT.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Click "File" in the menu bar.
    6. Click "Export" from the drop down menu this will open a new box.
    7. Click the down arrow beside "Save In" and select "Local Disk (C".
    8. In the File Name field type BACKUP.REG.
    9. Verify that under the “Export Range”, that the radio button is beside "All".
    10. Click Save.
    11. Click the plus sign (+) beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    12. Click the plus sign (+) beside System.
    13. Click the plus sign (+) beside CurrentControlSet.
    14. Click the plus sign (+) beside Control.
    15. Click the plus sign (+) beside Class.
    16. In the left hand window pane click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} to select that key.
    17. In the right hand window pane select the UpperFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard.
    18. Confirm with an OK.
    19. In the right hand window pane select the LowerFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard.
    20. Confirm with an OK.
    21. Click the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the Registry Editor window to close it.

4. DocShock

DocShock Thread Starter

I checked th registry and found the Universal Serial Bus RegKey, but it only has LowerFilters, not UnderFilters - should I delete the lower filters and restart?

Thanks.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Put the following lines in a file called FIX.REG and double click on the file and merge the contents into the registry. The CD's should be back.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

6. DocShock

DocShock Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the response. Sorry for asking, but I don't want to screw anything up. What are the exact steps to do this, i.e. how do I merge the contents into the registry.

Also, this is for USB ports right?, 'cause everything else in the device manager is fine, i.e. drives etc.

Thanks again, it's very appreciated.

7. JohnWill

Oh, FUDGE! I pasted the wrong fix! SORRY! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: It wouldn't have hurt anything, but it also wouldn't have fixed anything.

Try this, it's what I was supposed to post!

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

8. DocShock

DocShock Thread Starter

Tried that exactly as you stated - it found all the new hardware, but everything under USB controllers still has a yellow exclamation mark beside it and it is still showing code 19 - Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.

Any other ideas? I've seen some registry fixes (i.e. delete upper and lower filters etc.) posted on various sites (similar to yours), but I don't want to try them until I see one specifically for USB controllers. Do you know of any?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.

9. JohnWill

Here's Microsoft's Troubleshooting Tips, not all that illuminating.

Another search turns up: Code 19: This code means the registry returned an unknown result. To resolve this issue, follow the recommended solution, which will run Scanreg.exe. If this does not resolve the issue, type scanreg /restore from a command prompt (more information about ScanReg). Finally, remove the device from Device Manager, and then re-detect it using the Add New Hardware wizard in Control Panel.

It appears that something got corrupted in the registry...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/351642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice