1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Ports Not Working at all -- none of them

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 on an HP Pavilion a1013w with Pentium 4, 3-GHz processor and 512 RAM.

In System, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, everything looks normal, just like it does in any system where everything is working properly. There are no alerts on any devices. But, absolutely nothing happens when I plug a USB device into any of the three ports on the front of the computer or the four on the back.

To be clear, absolutely NOTHING happens--no ding, nothing on the screen -- nothing. I've tried three known-good USB drives of different brands that work well on other systems. Two were USB flash drives and another was a hard disk in an enclosure.

Updated the BIOS and enabled USB. I've also tried disabling it, rebooting and re-enabling.

I tried the on-disk HP System Recovery (formatted and all) and I've tried installing from an off-the-shelf Windows XP Pro CD.

Hoping chipset drivers might help, I've looked for them; but, I haven't found any on the HP site and I really don't know how to even look anywhere else.

2. Alex Ethridge

Here's a screen shot of System:

Attached Files:

3. Alex Ethridge

I identified the chipset with the Intel Chipset Identification tool and installed the chipset driver (and rebooted). There is no change in result.

Additionally, the ID tool said it failed to identify my ICH. I don't know anything about ICH so I have no idea if it is related to my problem. Screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

4. Hughv

Hughv

Try deleting and re-booting.

5. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the reply. I did try that when I had the factory installation. At your suggestion, I tried again under this installation from the XP Installation CD and there is no change.

6. Alex Ethridge

More strange behavior:

I put in an add-in PCI USB card. It also appeared in device manager; but, the behavior was the same as with the built-in USB ports. No response at all when connecting a USB device. I read a post in another forum suggesting I boot into safe mode, uninstall all USB in Device Manager and reboot into standard mode.

The upshot is that now the add-in card works; but, the built-in ports still have no change.

Someone else in another forum suggested disabling "turn this device off to save power" thingy in Device Manager. That also produced no change.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

What was the version number of the chipset driver you installed?

8. Alex Ethridge

I don't know; but I got it last night directly from the Intel site. I also updated the BIOS.

Getting desperate for ideas, I even swapped the power supply just a few minutes ago -- no change.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

10. Alex Ethridge

Everest identifies the chipset as follows: Intel Grantsdale-G, i915G/GL/GV

I followed your link to the Intel site and downloaded Chipset and BIOS in the event they were newer. Here are the messages I got:

Intel Express BIOS Update
    This program is unable to continue. The system you are trying to update is not based on an Intel Desktop Board.

Chipset Installation Program
    This computer currently contains software version 9.1.1.1025, which is newer than the version you are about to install.

I verified the chipset by removing the heatsink and getting the following number from it: NG82915GV

I'm going to try a Linux Live CD and see if it will use USB.

11. Alex Ethridge

I'm left with only one conclusion: This has to be a hardware problem, strictly hardware.

I just finished booting with two live CDs, Bart's PE and Linux Slax Live. Both are known-good CDs and both have been used many times to access USB flash drives. The flash drive was connected during POST in both cases and there was no change in result.

I am just going to have to accept that the USB capability on this board has somehow just gone kaput. This is a new one on me, especially since everything else seems to work just fine. Performance is great.

I'll plug in a couple of USB PCI add-in cards with internal USB headers. This'll get me four rear USB ports and on the front, the card reader and three more USB ports.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

I can understand why the BIOS wouldn't update since the machine you stated was an HP and would have a proprietary BIOS. It's good it didn't try to update the BIOS or it would have corrupted it.

The link to the chipset driver I sent was an earlier version for the 915 and other chipsets. The latest on which you installed was 9.1.1.1025 which was modified for Vista and Win 7.

The link to the version I sent was for Ver. 8.3.1.1009 which was released 8/7/2007. You could even go back to an earlier version here ver. 6.3.0.1007.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...=IntelĀ®+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility

The 915 chipset was problematic. Whenever I've had a problem with the latest version I just used the earlier version 8.3.1.1009

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

14. Alex Ethridge

I would assume the on-disk system recovery would've had all it needed to make everything work (earlier chipset drivers and all) and that is what I started with.

I'm really spent on this problem--for now, anyway, and maybe for good and all. I'm looking for two more USB add-in cards at the moment to replace the two I just put into this machine (with internal pin headers like the ones I just put in).

15. Alex Ethridge

Missed your last post. Yes, I disabled power management for USB yesterday--no help. I don't have PCDoctor on this system since formatting and installing XP from the off-the-shelf disk. But, I do have another utility for checking USB readiness. I'll run it later.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice