1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Ports Not Working/New RAM the Cause?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hellscloak, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hellscloak

Hellscloak Thread Starter

I recently added a 512mb stick of RAM to a computer running XP. Immediately following, (perhaps by coincidence) none of the devices plugged into the USB ports are recognized. I tried two different devices, an HP Photosmart printer and a flash drive into multiple USB ports and none of them were recognized.

The new stick of RAM is posting, so I know the addition of the RAM may not necessarily be the problem. I have the most current drivers installed for the printer, so I know this is not the issue.

I read on another forum http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-vista-support/218291-usb-s-stop-working-when-i-install-more-ram.html
    where a user reported having exactly the same problem while they were running Vista. The solution was to delete said corrupted USB files, reinstall the RAM and then plug the devices back in...

Does anyone have any insight into how to do this?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree the ram most likely did not cause the problem.

Check device mgr for any yellow marks. If everything looks normal, you can try this reg fix for usb problems. Note make a restore point before you begin this task. The following is a fix posted by John Will [another mod]

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697423