1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Ports not working on my Dell laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by parasols, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. parasols

parasols Thread Starter

I have a Dell Insprion 2200 laptop. Suddenly, one day, my mouse stopped working- I replaced the mouse, and it still doesn't work. I have tried all 3 USB ports, and it doesn't work in any of them. Other than this, it has been working great.

How can I rectify this problem.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Hi parasols, and welcome to TSG.

Your subject line may be a bit mis-leading. Are you sure the problem is with the USB ports and not with the mouse or the software drivers for the mouse?

Have you tried using the USB ports with another USB device like a thumb drive?

Are there any errors reported for the USB hardwarte in the Windows hardware device manager?

3. parasols

parasols Thread Starter

Like I said, I purchased a new mouse to see if that was the problem. The new one doesn't work either.

I don't know if its software drivers- that very well could be the problem. If it is, I don't know how to get the drivers fixed.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Sorry about that. The "I replaced the mouse" part of your post did not register in my brain.

It still might not hurt to test the USB ports with some other type of device.

Does the Windows Hardware Device Manager show any errors under Human Interface Devices, Mice and other pointing devices, or Universal Serial Bus controllers?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/952503