1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB ports not working right

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trose0578, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trose0578

trose0578 Thread Starter

Oh dear, what have I done now?! I have a 6(ish) year old laptop running Windows XP pro. I've always used a hub to add USB ports, and have never had a problem until now. I think it was the phone that did it. I just got a new phone, and it has a USB charger (which plugs into a wall unit) but I assumed that also meant it could charge via computer (after all, my iPod does.) It seemed okay, though I kept getting little connect and disconnect sounds as if I were plugging and unplugging devices. It wasn't until I unplugged the phone that I noticed my keyboard wasn't working. Investigating, I found that my 7-port hub had no lights on but the little red power light. I plugged the keyboard directly into the computer and it works. Okay, I thought. I fried my hub. Dang. So I ran into the next room and retrieved my spare that I don't like so much because of the really bright blue light. Plugged it in. Same thing that happens with the other hub--I got a pop up window saying "USB Device Not Recognized-One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance...click this message." I click the message and get a box with a list of ports that starts with "USB Root Hub 6 ports" and below that is a list of ports each with a USB symbol in line. The first is bold, and just says "Unknown Device" and all the others say "unused Port".

I have no idea what to do with this information or what it means. When I double click the bold one (the box says that the bold one is the one with the problem), it says the device is not connected. (Code 45) and suggests that I reconnect the device.

This seems to be the same on all my three USB ports. I tried plugging in my printer directly, and it seems to be reading it as the USB hub. It won't work. I've tried it on two of my three ports. Yet the keyboard and mouse seem to be fine, when directly connected.

...Have I fried the USB ports in the computer (rather than the hub(s)...?) If so...(gulp) what can I do...? Can I replace them somehow? Or do I need to reinstall drivers? I do hope the solution is free and relatively easy. Or at least not horribly expensive, and relatively easy. (I hope there IS a solution...)

I did try a system restore, to December 1, and that did not work.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Make sure the devices you are testing are recognized properly on another computer if you can.

As this is a notebook, test both with just the power adapter and just the battery (fully charged) separately.

I suspect a power adapter that is weakened could cause issues with the 5 volt ports if it is not producing adequate voltage or current.

You can also try this "USB" cleanup >>

USB CLEANUP
    First set a System Restore point and test it: start > run: msconfig > Launch System Restore.

Once you have confirmed that System Restore works physically remove any problem USB Devices

I am uploading a registry patch you will need to download, unzip and run. Confirm the merge to the registry.

http://forums.techguy.org/attachments/100544d1173412107/usbghosts.zip

Once you have installed the patch, open the Device Manager and select View > Hidden Devices.

Now open the USB Controller Device tree and look for "ghosted" or grey entries that show a "code 45" status when you double click them to view their properties.

Uninstall all those devices and reboot; you may need to reboot twice.

Then try your problem USB device again and see if it is detected properly.

You can also remove USB Controllers associated with the problem ports or devices -- but if you do make sure you not using a USB Mouse or Keyboard as that will become disabled until you reboot -- and if you are using a password you will not be able to enter it unless you attach a ps/2 keyboard.

Note: in some cases Windows does not have the proper install path for the information files required. If the New Hardware Wizard prompts you for an install location, point it to:

c:\windows\INF

This is a hidden directory, so you will need to have "show Hidden Files" enabled in Folder Options > View to see it.

3. trose0578

trose0578 Thread Starter

Okay, I verified that the USB hub (a powered, 7-porter) works fine--so it is not fried. It runs with no problems on my mom's computer.

If the hub is powered, how would the condition of my battery/power adapter have affected this situation? My assumption has always been that a powered hub supplies power to whatever is plugged into it.

I have done several system restores (I went and created some more problems for myself to fix before I could get to this problem) and the restore function is working successfully--but that is not solving the USB port problem. I will now attempt your first suggestion....we'll see how it goes. *gulp*

--By the way, when I first viewed your reply I was at work and could not do anything yet that you suggested (obviously)--but I am sure that after your line "you can also try this "USB" cleanup>>"--there was a clickable link--from home, this is gone. Have I imagined that and it was never there?? Or am I confused?

4. trose0578

trose0578 Thread Starter

Okay. I went into the Device Manager and viewed hidden devices, and uninstalled all of the entries in the USB tree that were ghosted and had a code 45 in the properties. Well I did all the ones that said "generic USB hub"--there were LOTS of those, and one that was working properly according to its properties (this one was not ghosted).

I was unsure if I should do the same with all entries--there are more ghosted things in there with code 45--1 that says "Unknown Device", 11 that say "USB Composite Device", more than 16 that say "USB mass storage device", and 4 that say "USB printing support". Among the Composite devices, there are 2 non-ghosted and they do not say Code 45.

Should I uninstall ALL those others too? (the ghosted with Code 45)? I suspect so, but am afraid to proceed without your say-so. After uninstalling what I did, I restarted twice, and no change to the performance of the USB ports.

You mentioned removing USB Controllers, but the devices in the Manager that say controller (specifically three that say "SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller" and one that says "SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller") are all un-ghosted and the properties say they are working properly and no code 45 there. Am I to assume that means do not touch those?

Thank you so much for your help--I sure hope I can get this fixed...

5. trose0578

trose0578 Thread Starter

I do hope it is alright to bump this--still waiting for answers to my latter questions before I proceed...and this thread was four pages down. Out of sight, out of mind!

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sorry I missed your reply.

Yes uninstall all the "code 45" entries regardless of what they are -- these are device entries for devices that are no longer seen as connected.

New entries will appear for them (not code 45 ones) when the device is connected and detected properly.

Leave the Controllers and other devices that are not "code 45" alone as while these can be uninstalled -- it is a bit dicey in some cases.

You will need tor reboot afterwards.

7. trose0578

trose0578 Thread Starter

I did as you suggested, restarted twice, and no change when I tried plugging in my printer. :( I checked again in the Device manager and there was another ghosted entry with code 45, though I am sure I got them all. I uninstalled this one, restarted again, and still the same.

The uninstalling is only to be done to things in the USB controller tree, right? No other place?

I'm trying to keep up my hopes....do you have any other suggestions? Are my USB ports fried for real?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I doubt reinstalling the controllers will fix the problem, and you will get hung up in the process unless you switch to a ps/2 mouse and keyboard first. Although, myself, I would probably try it

You are probably going to have to conclude the USB ports not associated with the mouse and keyboard are fried.

The solution to this would be to install a PCI USB controller card. These are relatively cheap, and I have a 4 port USB 2.0 controller on my XP system because the original controllers on the motherboard were only USB 1.1.

The 4 port controller was under 15 dollars as I recall >> http://www.google.com/search?client...troller+card&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

9. trose0578

trose0578 Thread Starter

Is a PCI controller card the thing you put (for instance) in the side of a laptop to have a wireless adapter, or ethernet adapter etc.? (long and thin with lots of pins and sticks out of the side a little) If I can do that, and it works, will a hub work thru that to make multiple USB ports available? I was just thinking about the "what ifs" of trying that, if I can find one.

Edit:
    It's a PCMCIA card. That's what I am thinking of. Do you think the problem I am having will affect that slot too--is it worth trying a PCMCIA USB card? Newegg has them at pretty good prices. Is it worth a try in the hopes of avoiding having to replace my poor computer?

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ouch, forgot you were using a laptop and you cannot use a PCI card there -- however the PCMCIA card should work if you have the slot for it

Example here:

http://www.amazon.com/2-Port-PCMCIA...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Did you say that your mouse and keyboard ports still recognize those devices when plugged directly in to their ports, just not the hub?

You may need a new powered hub.

But also try this, if you have a fully charged laptop battery, remove the power adapter and try some tests on just battery power as there could be a problem with the power adapter not providing full voltage to the 5 volt ports.

11. trose0578

trose0578 Thread Starter

I have two powered 7 port hubs, one of which was in use when the built-in USBs fried. I tested that one on another computer (with my camera plugged into it) and it worked fine. The other one was not plugged in or at use at the time at all, so it was not a part of the problem.

My old laptop has stayed plugged in its whole life, as it's a pretty powerful processor (for its day) and great screen--thus battery life was really, really short to begin with. If I try to test the battery like you suggested, what do I need to do, and what would be the result?

As far as your other question, the keyboard and mouse work fine thru the built in ports--but it does not recognize any other device I have tried--hub, camera, iPod, or printer. It's pretty weird.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I have an old laptop that has had similar USB problems with higher powered devices intermittently when using a cheap powered hub, but not with low powered ones like a mouse or small USB drive. Sometime afterwards the laptop LCD monitor would turn off after about 2 minutes. An external Clone monitor worked fine.

I found that by removing power adapter and just running on the battery -- the laptop lcd monitor would stay on. I never proceeded to test whether the USB issues were similarly affected -- but I'm thinking they could have been.

I have not replaced the power adapter -- but I'm betting if I did, the LCD monitor would work just fine -- and the the issues are with the power supply.

Anyway, that's why I suggest the test in your case.

13. trose0578

trose0578 Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up--if my monitor stopped working after all this I might lose all composure! I'll keep that in mind. I don't know if Hypersonic makes the power adapter for my laptop anymore after 6+ years, but can I assume that if I have that problem this should fix it (considering that my battery only runs maybe 20 minutes before dying)--that is, if I can find an adapter for this computer....?

Edit...
    Oh and--
    I got a PCMCIA card and it appears to be working okay, though I plugged in my iPod last night after working up lots of courage (I plugged it into a powered USB hub) to update it, and it would not update. It acted really slow, and then I got "Write failure" error stuff until I turned off the computer for the night.

My printer worked fine last night thru the Hub too, but this morning it was "offline" when I tried to use it. I unplugged it from the Hub and plugged it directly into one of the USBs on the PCMCIA card. That worked fine.... :^/

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Occasionally one finds that some devices do not get detected consistently through a hub and must be run directly through a port.

However sometimes when this happens, just disconnecting and reconnecting the device to the hub will detect it properly -- you can give that a shot.

Good luck and keep us updated on any progress or lack there of ...

For power adapters, you can try a search on Amazon or just Google for an adapter for the model computer -- where reviews are available -- (such as on Amazon) be sure to read them carefully to assess the compatibility of the adapter from user experience.

Right now though, this does not seem like that is the problem -- but rather the ports themselves.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!