1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Usb ports not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imnewtech, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imnewtech

imnewtech Thread Starter

I was given a toshiba satellite a15-s1292 when I got home and turned it on I found out some had tried to install a pirated copy of xp pro on it. I decided to make a backup of the drivers on my thumb drive so I could reinstall the proper os but the usb ports do not work. In device manager they are enabled and working properly.
    So my question is what is causing them to not work? Is it a driver issue or is it a physical issue? What can I do to find out?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried other USB devices?

You could check to see if the USB ports work when a different operating system is booted, such as:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Toshiba Satellite A15-S1292 laptop came with Windows XP Home Edition pre-installed.

Here is the support and driver downloads site for it.

Select "Downloads"(tab) - Refine Search By - Windows XP - Driver".

The drivers for the display, audio, ethernet, wireless, and touchpad are all listed there.

---------------------------------------------------------

4. imnewtech

imnewtech Thread Starter

I tried two different thumb drives and neither worked. So I grabbed a copy of knoppix I had wich is an old but bootable linux cd I had. Now I can't remember how to mount a drive or if you even need to mount a usb drive.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you boot Knoppix with the USB drive plugged in, it should mount it on boot. In any case, the drive should show up if USB is working. It will be recognized when you plug/unplug it.

If you have anything that charges by USB, you could plug that in to test whether the ports are even getting power.

6. imnewtech

imnewtech Thread Starter

Just tried plugging my phone in and nothing happened.

7. imnewtech

imnewtech Thread Starter

I plugged in the the thumb drive restarted knoppix and nothing again. Knoppix recognized the usb when starting, but it didn't mount the thumb drive. So I guess this means there is a physical problem right..

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Could be. Unless there is something peculiar about the drives you are using.

What do you mean that Knoppix "recognized" the USB? It may attempt to load drivers (or detect USB) even on a machine that has no USB, so just seeing mention of USB flash by is not necessarily "recognition".

On the other hand, Windows seemed to recognize the USB. It is possible for that to happen even if USB does not work. I had that happen after a storm - USB no longer working but looking normal in Device Manager.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you asked the person who gave you that laptop if the USB ports were working before it was given to you?

Besides it having a pirated version of Windows XP Pro, I'm wondering if it had some hardware issues and was one reason why it was given to you.

--------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1020863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice