1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB ports not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tdavis78, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tdavis78

tdavis78 Thread Starter

I have a IBM thinkpad t41 series with Windows XP. It also has an detachable docking station. There are two USB ports on the laptop and one USB port on the docking station. One day they were working and now all three are not being recognized. When something such as a plug and play is attached the device states that it is working correctly, but the laptop does not show that the device is connected. I have tried deleting and reinstalling service pack 1 & 2, reinstalling windows xp, going to Lennox and making sure all drivers were updated as well as double check the BIOS. I do notice when clicking the ADD HARDWARE under CONTROL PANEL I do get a message stating that my computer is already installing another hardware and is unable to add another until the present download is complete. However, I have no clue what other hardware is installing and have gone under CONTROL ALT DELETE to see if there is anything running that I am not aware of. What am I missing?:mad:

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread.
    Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

3. tdavis78

tdavis78 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz, x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500, 32 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 34262 MB, Free - 12086 MB;
    Motherboard: IBM, 23737FU
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

this computer was given to me - model # tag has been ripped/torn off

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Check in Device Manager and see if any flags are up.

5. tdavis78

tdavis78 Thread Starter

it did have one flag. it reinstalled missing driver and usb worked for moments. then went to go add my Epson STylus NX415 and computer is not allowing me to install printer and giving me a mess of errors (including spool) on top of giving me yellow flag errors with usb port that I have to keep on reinstalling.

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Hopefully one of the Tech's will chime in and help you out.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice