1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB ports not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dkchamp40, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkchamp40

dkchamp40 Thread Starter

Have a desktop, Acer Aspire model M5640 and running windows 7. Power supplied is 300 watts. Upon boot, got a black screen message saying "warning, keyboard not found." In addition a BSOD message indicated that the "usb drivers were not found."

Prior to these messages, the computer was fine except the 5 usb ports(4 in rear, 1 in front) sometimes worked and other times not. When they didn't work, I would restart the computer. If that didn't work, I would go into the device manager and check to see any yellow highlighted ? next to a driver, etc. If I didn't find any, I would shut down computer then unplug power source and open the case. I would check if anything looked peculiar such as a loose usb hub or connector, then look inside the usb ports if any of the pins looked loose or mis-aligned. What I found was the following:

1. One usb port behind the computer had two pins that were shorter than the other two. Because of this, my theory was that there wasn't a good connection between the usb cable for the keyboard and that usb port. For the usb port in the front of the computer, the same problem was visible like the rear usb port but this port was for the usb cable for the mouse.

2. What I did for both usb ports was use a fine twizzer tool to pull the pins forward and after doing so, those pins were aligned with the other two pins that weren't mis-aligned. My other curiosity was why the other three usb ports behind the computer weren't working after testing them with both the keyboard and mouse usb cables? These ports looked fine unlike the other two with the pin issue.

3. Finally, I put the computer case back into place and plugged in the usb cables from the keyboard, mouse, audio speakers, printer and wifi adapter. Plugged in the power cord into the power outlet on the wall and turned on the computer.
    Miraculously, I didn't get any of the previous error messages upon boot and I saw that both the keyboard and mouse were getting power from the usb ports they were connected to. Then the computer loaded the windows desktop and voila things seemed to run normally as before this problem occurred. Should this problem present itself again, is there anything I could do different? For now, I won't fix anything if it ain't broken but do you think my usb hubs are going bad or something else?

4. My other question as a beginner novice on hardware issues is this..Can a usb hub attached to the motherboard be replaced without having to replace the entire motherboard? It seems as though if a hard drive or graphics card go bad, they can be replaced without replacing the entire motherboard in some cases.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to any replies with much appreciation:)

2. dai

dai

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1109502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice