1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB ports not working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by radnar15, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. radnar15

radnar15 Thread Starter

Hi. I just did a complete hardrive re-instal. I put in a brand new hardrive and re-installed windows XP complete with service pack 2.

The problem is none of my USB ports (USB 2.0) will work it seems, or windows doesn't interract with them properly. You know how when you plug in a new USB device, windows regonizes it as new hardware and you go to the install screen? Well, I don't get that message, I don't get anything, and without that happening, I can't get my wireless internet up, because I am required to turn on the antena through that function. I'm doubtful the USB port itself is messed up condiering I still get power to the device. I tried many different devices, none of which were detected.

The drivers are installed via the service pack. I also installed all my motherboard drivers and made sure USB ports were active in my BIOS. I'm not sure what else to try to get this to work or why it is happening. The device manager shows all my USB devices running properly...

If someone could please respond with some information regarding this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks...

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

Sounds like it might be a corrupted USB driver or similar. Open device manager, and uninstall ALL entries under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers entry (right click on each and uninstall). When done, right click on any other main entry, and click 'Scan for new hardware'. Let windows install the drivers it needs, then reboot TWICE. See if that fixes it.

Scorp.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd make sure you have the proper version of MB drivers installed, then try this:

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

4. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

open your control panel, double click administrative tools, open computer management, on the left pane you'll see device manager, click on device manager, you'll see system devices on the right pane, expand that, inside there you'll see all your usb devices known by your computer. Check each of these to make sure they are working by right clicking and choosing properties. If they are not working you might even see a question mark next to them. If they are curruprt just uninstall and then reinstall.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even though all the devices appear to be OK in Device Manager, that doesn't mean their driver parameters aren't corrupted in the registry.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice