1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Ports not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jandcbryant, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jandcbryant

jandcbryant Thread Starter

Hello,

Windows XP. None of my USB ports are working. When I plug in my external hard drives, they light up, so I don't think it is a problem with them. The USB will not read any type device that I try to plug into it. I went into computer management --> device manager-->expanded USB controllers and then uninstalled my USB controllers. After that I restarted my computer, and the system re-installed all of the drivers, so I thought my problem might be solved. It was not. Even after that, none of them work. I am not really sure what else to do, my brother in law told me about this website and said he has had nothing but good luck with you guys. Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Crystal

2. nevarDeath

nevarDeath

Is this a laptop or a desktop? Without knowing I can tell you I've seen people with this problem at my work and I've not been able to fix it completely over the phone once. One time a lady's USB ports in the back worked after re-installing the drivers. This is because the ones in the back are directly connected to the motherboard while the ones in the front usually run from an add-in card (which also decreases speed over those ports) So if I had your problems here's what I would do:
    Backup important files. This can be done using cds, or you can get a free 90 day trial of an online service at www.carbonite.com/staplesesp which doesn't require a credit card.

Then do a factory reset. If your computer came with disks, that's what you use, most nowdays have a section of the hard drive that they put the factory info on that you can restore from. All HPs and some dells and some acers (maybe more I'mnot aware of) allow you to make your own discs, which is the option I recommend.

If you do that and it's just a software problem, it will fix it. If you do that and it doesn't fix it, then it's a hardware problem and you need to have the computer serviced. That's personally what I would do, maybe someone else knows an easier way?

3. jandcbryant

jandcbryant Thread Starter

It is a desktop. Everytime we plug into the back USB ports, it freezes the entire computer. When we plug into the front, the external hard drive lights up and nothing else happens.

Thanks for the suggestion of factory reset.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice