1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB ports not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ned93, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ned93

ned93 Thread Starter

Hi, I am running XP SP2. I have 3 usb ports, 2 are not working. Device manager is empty. System restore does not work. Internet connectivity is absent.
    Any ideas would be absolutely appreciated. I have searched this forum for the issue. I have tried the apropos fix which seems to be dominant. It has not helped.
    Thanks
    Ned

2. ned93

ned93 Thread Starter

Hi, I have looked in the event log, the only error listed is a w32time error.
    Thanks
    Ned

3. bp936

bp936

Have you checked everything in Control Panel?
    What do you have under Network connections? Maybe you have to re-enter information, sometimes it gets corrupted and if entered new again, it will work.
    How were you able to connect to TSG if you don't have Internet connectivity?

Do you mean Device Manager is completely empty or just empty for USB controllers?
    How is your settings for System restore? Is it visible in My Computer?

Either you have some kind of a virus or the hard drive has corrupted spots.
    Get HD Tune and check your run an error scan, I got the free version.
    http://www.bestfreewaredownload.com/freeware/t-free-hd-tune-freeware-odznwwnt.html

4. ned93

ned93 Thread Starter

Hi, I am using my desktop for connectivity. Its the laptop thats not working.
    In network connections, there are 2 connections, 1 is for broadband 1 is for dial up when I am at a very distant location.
    Device manager is totally empty. I have checked services for PNP it says its started automatically. Superantispyware said all is well. I have tried going back 2 months ago in system restore, nothing is working.
    I will try hdtune and let you know.
    Ned

5. bp936

bp936

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice