1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB ports on front case. 1 not working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RushMaster, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RushMaster

RushMaster Thread Starter

Hi there. I recently bought a barebones kit from Tigerdirect. It has usb 3.0 support, and the case I have is a cougar mid-tower case. Everything has been hooked up correctly as far as I know, and yet one of the usb ports on the front of my case does not work.

The connector that went into the motherboard from the front of the case, it yielded to both the usb 3.0 port, and the standard 2.0 port as well. So only one cable was plugged into the motherboard that I assumes powers both of them.

My usb 3.0 works (though I don't get full use out of it because I don't own any 3.0 devices to make it useful) but the standard 2.0 port does nothing at all. Doesn't even give power. I've tried plugging a phone into it, a flash drive, a plug n play device. Nothing. Does anyone know why the 3.0 port would be working and not the standard one?

I should also add that all the usb ports on the back of my case work fine too. It's just this one single port on the front of the case and I can't figure it out for the life of me...

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The only thing I can think of is that its not plugged into the motherboard...do you have other connections that is not connected to the board?

3. RushMaster

Well upon looking at the motherboard I did notice 2 areas on there that don't have anything plugged into it. usbfr1 and usbfr2. I'm assuming this is the front usb 2.0 connector that's not working. However, my case didn't come with a cable to even plug into the usb 3.0 spot on the motherboard. Only a 20-1 connector for the usb 3.0. So, if the motherboard requires a seperate connection for the usb 2.0 port on the front of my case to work, why didnt the case come with a cable to do so? There doesn't appear to be any spot to plug the other end into the usb port on the front even if i got my hands on the cable. It looks as though it's tied in with the big usb 3.0 cable, and yet that doesnt seem to work. I'm confused.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you pull the front of the case (if it's possible) you should be able to trace the port. But yes, the usbfr1/2 sounds about right. Should be 2 rows of pins, with 1 or 2 missing on one end?

5. RushMaster

Yes that's correct. But as i've said there is no cable stemming from the front of the case that would plug into the motherboard that would go into the usbfront spot on the motherboard. Not sure why not.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Perhaps its a dummy port... but I can't see that... you may want to talk to the manucturer to find out...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice