1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB ports stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slitherax, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slitherax

slitherax Thread Starter

I was working normally, playing a game, but then suddenly the sound stopped working. I identified that it was the USB ports, not the speakers, that were not working. The computer has 12 USB ports, all of them have stopped working. Is there any way this can be fixed? I ran the TSG SysInfo, but it just came up with this:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version:
    Processor:
    Processor Count:
    RAM:
    Graphics Card:
    Hard Drives:
    Motherboard:
    Antivirus: None

I'm guessing it shouldn't do that. Please help me as soon as possible! Oh, sorry if this was posted in the wrong section! :rolleyes:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one knows what we are working on. Post your exact system specs; ie make and model of mb, brand and wattage of pw supply, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever then post the exact make and model.

I assume you have rebooted the system to see if it still has this problem. Have you checked device manager to see if there are any yellow marks? Post a screenshot of device mgr.

Have you tried a system restore to a date before this occurred?

3. slitherax

slitherax Thread Starter

OK. Here are the specs:

Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A78LT-M

Power Supply:
    G7 Power Extreme 880W

RAM:
    16GB Corsair RAM

Processor:
    AMD Athlon II Quad Core

Graphics Card:
    ATI Radeon HD 5570 2GB

Windows 7 Home Edition SP1

It is worth noting that the USB ports work on the Ubuntu partition I installed. I tried a system restore, but it just gave me this error message:

[​IMG]

As for Device Manager, it just says everything is working normally:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/screenshot002yi.jpg/

Please excuse the watermarks on the images. Is there any more information you want?

4. slitherax

slitherax Thread Starter

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it works under linux, then it is a windows problem. Here is a usb fix that was written by a former mod. I would highly advise making a backup of anything important OR make an image of your system drive prior to doing this.

Use at your own risk.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

6. slitherax

slitherax Thread Starter

OK, I'll try that thank you..

7. slitherax

slitherax Thread Starter

The problem with this is that it also stops my mouse and keyboard from working, so I can't delete all of them. There are some other side effects too; the notification area is telling me that I have no internet connection, but the connection seems fine. Also, Windows Action Center keeps saying that my anti-virus is turned off, when it isn't. Also, Microsoft Office 2010 keeps telling me to enter my activation key, but I entered that when I first bought it. Do you think I have a virus?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ah yes I would think so. It might have been useful to post that info in your first post. Personally with that many problems I would just clean install windows however if you want to post in the security forum, they might be able to help you.

9. slitherax

slitherax Thread Starter

OK. Thank you very much for your help!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1019120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice