USB Ports stopped working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

samsun

Nothing I plug into any of my usb2.0 ports will work.

I get the message 'USB Device Not Recognized - One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. for assistence in solving this problem click this message'

Clicking this message inevitably didnt help.

This has only happened today, and I only noticed it after installing Daemon Tools v4.0 which I have now uninstalled which hasnt solved the problem. This could of course be a coincidence.

Can anyone suggest anything I can try? Let me know any information you need and I will post it.

Thanks in advance

-

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi- Are you using XP and do you know anything about System Restore?

samsun

Yes I am using xp and I dont know why I didnt think of system restore before. I just restored my computer to yesterday which seems to have partially fixed the problem. A couple of devices now work (webcam and usb audio card), but my usb hub and external HDD still give me the same message.

Any other ideas?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you tried deleting the USB drivers and letting XP re-install them ?

samsun

Just did, but still neither my external HDD or my usb hub will work.

Maybe Ill try them on another computer to make sure theyre not the problem, but it seems a bit of a coincidence that both would die at the same time?!

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Try looking through these:

http://www.google.com/search?source...G:2005-52,GGLG:en&q=USB+device+not+recognized

*I know it doesn't pertain now since you uninstalled Tools, but...

TSG forum rules forbid us helping with emualtion type software by the way...
If you get the USB device problem fixed, please don't come back and ask for any help using tools like that. There are plenty of forums for using emulators, ask there.

samsun

Ok, Ive had enough of tearing my hair out ove this. Im considering doing a reformat and reinstalling windows. Will be a bit of a pain seeing as I cant use my external HDD to back stuff up but ill use dvds i suppose.

Problem is that my windows cd is at my university term time address. If I install windows from another cd but still use my own serial number will that be ok? My windows cd is a fujitsu siemens back up cd.

Many Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'd try removing the drivers one more time....did you use this procedure ??

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under Serial USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
samsun said:
...Problem is that my windows cd is at my university term time address. If I install windows from another cd but still use my own serial number will that be ok? My windows cd is a fujitsu siemens back up cd....
If you have a basic copy of XP ... and you use the legal product code from your XP Computer ...
It just might work ... You may have to call M$ and explain (beg).
I've done this twice ... had to call once.

samsun

Noyb, ive tryed everything uve mentioned but i still have the same problem.

Now i gotta see if i can find a windows cd.

Thanks again to everyone

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Unless you use the registry hack, some of the hidden devices won't show up, and you may not get a complete cleaning job. Here's the complete procedure.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

samsun

Thanks, Ill give that a try.

In device manager there is nothing called 'storage volumes' however, and for this bit, 'If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.', should there be something that says unknown devices? The only time ive seen this is when my usb hdd is plugged in, then it says 'unknown device' under USB Controllers.

Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you don't have an unknown devices category, you don't have to do anything with it.

I'm surprised that you don't have a Storage Volumes catetory down near the end of Device Manager, I've never seen a machine that didn't have it. It's right between Sound, Video and game controllers and System Devices

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online