1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Ports Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JmanA9, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JmanA9

JmanA9 Thread Starter

The USB ports on my friend's laptop (HP Pavilion DV6000 running XP Home) randomly stopped working about a week ago. He hasn't made any changes to the system in some time. When you plug in a USB device, it gets power, but the computer doesn't recognize it. Here's what I've tried so far:

- Uninstalled all USB drivers from the device manager
    - Unchecked the "allow computer to turn off this device" option under power management
    - Installed newest version of the nVidia cihpset
    - Made sure that USB is enabled in the BIOS
    - Tried a registry fix found here - http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/673766-usb-ports-suddenly-stop-working.html

Unfortunately, nothing has worked. What worries me is that I also tried using an Ubuntu live cd, and no USB devices were recognized there either. I'm thinking that this might be a hardware problem which can't be fixed, but does anyone have any ideas on what to try before I declare this problem unfixable?

2. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

3. JmanA9

JmanA9 Thread Starter

I would hope that there's something else I can do before having to do a clean reinstall, but I'm glad to know that it might work. I think it's really weird that the live cd didn't work for you either, but maybe it's more of a problem with Linux not having the proper drivers or something. Thanks for the response!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice