1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrsJodikins, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrsJodikins

MrsJodikins Thread Starter

Okay,

I think my USB ports are bad...no, I know they're bad. I have had my HP Pavilion 751n for about a year and this is the first time I tried to use them today.

3 of the 4 don't work at all. And the 4th reads anything I plug into it, including an HP Printer and the Wireless Network Adapter (which I know works cause it's on this computer right now) as an Unknown Device.

HP, of course, tell me that the issue is me. I don't know what I'm doing. Funny how I had no problems setting up hubby's computer to run on a wireless system.

Anyone know if this is a major repair? Should I scrap the idea of having a printer (I could, of course, create a network and use the one connected to my hubby's computer) and just go buy the wireless PCI card as linksys suggested?

Thanks for the thoughts!

~~Jodi

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

well, i don't know much about wireless networking, but I do know this- I don't like HP printers AT ALL. I have one, a 1210 all in one, and I can't even use the stupid thing on this computer. It's a long story, but that printer is the whole reason I joined this forum. I would scrap the idea of having an hp printer, and get an epson or whatever...
    The tech support for hp won't help you, they told me the same thing. It's the software that's the problem. and you have to use their software to use your hp printer.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I have had several Epson printers in the past few years, and I refuse to have another. Their software drivers stink, and I'm being nice! I've had my ancient HP-LJ3 for many years, and all it does is sit there an print. I also have the HP PSC-750 multi-function printer, and it's an excellent color printer. HP has a very nice feature, the ink nozzles are on the cartridge, so when you replace the cartridge, you also get a new print head. The Epson is a PITA when the head gets dirty.

4. Krall

Krall

You could try going to staples or another type of store that sells computer stuff and buy an internal USB card. They have between 2 and 4 ports on them , run about $25 (I think) , and if it doesnt work they are returnable. This way, you can just stick the card into one of your PCI slots on the motherboard and it will give you 2 new usb ports without having alot of exspense and without having to give up your printer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice