1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shelbymom, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shelbymom

shelbymom Thread Starter

Is there anyway to just replace the usb ports on a motherboard? I have a friend who destroyed her usb ports on a B130 dell Inspiron. I would like to just replace one thing instead of the whole thing? Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. yoshismama4

yoshismama4

Triple 6:
    I have a question about your suggestion to add a PCMCIA USB Card, which I have just done recently, myself. I had to do this on my laptop, as the only USB port was broken by the kids. However, now I have another problem. I was already using one of the two PCMCIA slots for a Linksys Wireless PC Network Card. Now, the only way I can get both cards to fit in the two slots is to insert the Linksys card into the bottom slot, upside down. It still fits all the way in this way, does this mean that if I re-install it, it will work? I was also a bit shocked to learn that the PCMCIA USB Card needed a power supply and that the included option for this depended on the defunct USB port I was trying to replace! The only other option is an AC adapter which, of course, is not included and is very difficult to find for purchase on its own. I was able to find a suitable adapter, after purchasing several pricey items that depended on being able to connect via USB and commiting to a long list of tasks that could only be completed with these new USB dependent devices! I am now tied down by the age-old ball & chain of an ethernet cable. Any & all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The PCMCIA card cannot be used upside down.

The powered USB cards work better.

5. yoshismama4

yoshismama4

So, why would they give me 2 PCMCIA slots if I can't possibly use them at the same time?
    There is no way any other PCMCIA card could fit all the way in with the USB card in the top slot. So now I guess my only option is to get another USB Wireless Network adapter, right?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can use the slots at the same time, it just depends on the cards you use in them. but some cards require more space then others, if you have two such cards then it does become a problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice