1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB printer/backup hd missing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by hermit, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hermit

hermit Thread Starter

On a Vista 32x os, running a gateway GM5626, I have a USB printer and USB harddrive that went missing, (according to Vista), since approximately 3/23/10, (my last succesful back up).

The printer is a HP PSC 1410V ALL-IN-ONE.
    The drive is a Western Digital 2500, (set up as a slave through a Dynex usb).

They were working fine for over a year, and all of the sudden they aren't detected.

The computer notices when I turn the drive on/off however, I get the "rim-shot/ du-dump" sound from vista when I connect it/ power it on. But when I look in the "my computer" file, it isn't there.

I am using "driver detective 6.5.0.5" and followed all of there reccomendations. Also I have gone to Windows update/ HP's website and downloaded everything they had. But the HP digital monitor does not detect any HP devices.

2. huggie54

huggie54

do any other USB devices work,ie flash drive,phone,ipod

3. hermit

hermit Thread Starter

Yes, I have an xbox 360 wireless reciever, and a usb mouse that are working fine.

4. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,could you try this,connect printer and external drive then reboot.when back to full desktop loaded right-click My computer>manage>disc management,can you see your devices in there,if in there right -click on one and select activate

5. hermit

hermit Thread Starter

The usb drive is not listed.

6. huggie54

huggie54

try uninstalling all usb controllers,reboot and let your machine reinstall them automatically,unplug all usb devices from your machine,except your mouse,see if any help

7. hermit

hermit Thread Starter

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, and thanks for your help.

On Vista, how do you uninstall the usb controllers?

8. huggie54

huggie54

Hermit hiya,go into device manager right-click on one and select uninstall,once you have uninstalled all reboot and the pc will install them automatically

9. hermit

hermit Thread Starter

Ok my printer is working! KUDOS! The HP printer monitor says that it is disconnected but it is printing so horray!

The computer is still not detecting the external drive, and now I don't get the "bu-bump" sound when I disconnect the usb cord or cycle the power to the drive. I looked at the Dynex site and couldn't find a driver that supports Vista.

10. huggie54

huggie54

hiya mate,as you cannot find any vista compatible drivers try the latest for xp

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice