1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Printer sharing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rdkapp, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

I've got a small (2 computer) network with a USB photo printer connected to one of the computers. Printer sharing is properly activated, however, when I print from the other computer, I get error messages which I have to clear out (which is a hassle). I do, however, get correct output on the printed page. My question is: Is it possible to share the printer by connecting both computers via a USB hub? Any help is appreciated.

2. deuce

deuce

How are the computers connected to the printer (specifically... like through a hub?...) What are the error messages?

3. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

The printer is currently connected to one computer via usb port. I'm wondering if using a usb hub to connect both computers to the printer will work? The error message is as follows:

A communication error has occured. Check all cable connections and make sure all devices are on. If the device was turned off during printing, cancel the print job. If the error still does not clear, see the manual's troubleshooting section to cancel the error.

This error always occurs when I print from the network computer not connected to the printer. But, like I said in my initial post, it prints and the output is fine. I'm just trying to avoid the error message and clearing same.

4. deuce

deuce

Well I don't know... if you already have a hub you could try that. It seems to me if you have the one computer connected to the other computer that is connected to the printer you shouldn't be able to print from the computer not connected to the printer. It also doesn't make sense why it still prints if it is having a communication problem. Since it prints you might be ok with the current setup but right now I just don't know what you can do to get rid of the error message.

5. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

Deuce, the computers are networked with cat 5 (network) cable and "file and printer sharing" is activated. I've got another printer hooked up to the parallel port of one of the computers and it prints fine from either computer without any error messages. There is evidently some communication problem between the network and the usb port to which the computer is connected. I'm thinking that if the printer were connected to the usb port of each computer, that problem would be avoided, but I don't know if a usb hub can serve the purpose I'm proposing. Anyone know?

6. deuce

deuce

Ok I'm sorry I didn't know you were networking with CAT 5. (I don't know why you would try USB but that is just what the post suggested) Well you can try a hub if you have one. It seems though that it should work with the setup you have. Any ideas anybody? (where are all you hardware guys?)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice