1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb problem after power supply replaced

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paullaxon, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paullaxon

paullaxon Thread Starter

I recently had my power supply die on my and got it replaced.

Since then I have not been able to print to my hp laserjet, or use my logitech Wingman controller which are usb devices.

I have an intel pentium 1.7 GHz with 512 M ram running Windows XP.

The laserjet appears to be recognized. When I unplugged it and plugged it back XP told me it had found a new device and set it up, but it always sets it up to work off-line. When I put it on-line I get an error message when printing about the printer not being connected properly.

When I tried to manually add the Wingman it just said device not connected and I couldn't do anything else.

I went through the trouble-shooting guide, including deleting all the usb connections and rebooting. Everything got added back but I still had the same problems.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

2. rockinmale

rockinmale

A dead power supply is not a good thing. Did it go out with a bang or popping noise? There is a 50/50 chance it may or may not do damage to the components inside the pc.

I recently had to rebuild a pc for my wifes father. When the psu blew it killed the motherboard, cpu, memory and hard drive when it went.

Im wondering if when the psu failed it caused a surge in your system and could have damaged components on the motherboard. I would definately take a look at the motherboard up close. Look at the capacitiors. Check to make sure their not expanded, leaking, or blown.

As for your usb and printer problems they could be related to the motherboard being flaky due to the power supply failing.

This of course is only guessing at this point, but i wanted you to be aware of what can happen when a psu goes out.

More info on your system would be greatly helpful......

Rockinmale :cool:

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wonder if the bios was reset and the USB is now off or no IRQ assigned to it. If you go into device manager does it list USB?

If not you may have to go into the bios and reenable usb and eanble IRQ.

This can be done by pressing F2 or DEL when the computer first boots up. Should be under periphel or advances seetings. make sure USB is enabled.

Lets hope for an easy solution.

4. paullaxon

paullaxon Thread Starter

Device Manager does list the usb devices, and when I unplug the laser printer and put it back in I get a message it is being set up.

I was hoping the problem might be a software one that I could deal with. My best bet is probably to take it back to the guys who replaced the power supply and see what they say...

Thanks

Paul

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/134387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice