1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Usb Problems.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by whutitdew, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whutitdew

whutitdew Thread Starter

I just installed Windows XP Pro on an IBM Personal Computer 300GL desktop machine. Its not a tower kind. Its one of these flat type models, where you can set the monitor on top. Well for some reason, after I did a restart, the machine was giving me keyboard and pointing device problems. And now I cant use the keyboard to press "CONTINUE" to go into BIOS Setup. I have checked for ways to reset this and under the case it shows me a way to reset the CMOS. Its labeled as this on the sticker.

SW1:
    1 - Floppy Write Protect
    OFF - Disabled
    ON - Enabled
    2 - Clear CMOS
    OFF - Disabled
    ON - Enabled

SW2:
    ALL OFF

And on the case it labels the where this SW1 part is at on the mobo. Its next to the circular battery. Its like a blue box. With 4 little white buttons on top that can be pushed either off all on one side, or you can push down on the other side by numbers 1,2,3, and 4. Im not sure how to reset this, cause I cant even get the USB Devices to work. To enter the BIOS Setup. What should I do?

2. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

Well to reset your BIOS what you wanna do is shutdown your machine, switch the No.2 DIM switch to "ON", then start you machine up and it should beep strangely. Shut the PC down again, switch the switch to "OFF" and startup again.

You will then need to go into your BIOS and reset any settings you already had in there.

Once you get back into windows, make sure you do all the windows updates you can.

3. whutitdew

whutitdew Thread Starter

I just tried. I get POST Startup Error(s)

162 Configuration Change Has Occured

Select one of the following

Continue

Exit Setup

But USB Devices Wont Work. So I cant select an option.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!