1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beeeater, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beeeater

Beeeater Thread Starter

Nowadays I have many USB devices (Printer, scanner, cellphone, headset, bluetooth dongle, etc.) I thought USB was a plug-and-play technology that supported multiple devices. But I have endless problems connecting all my devices at the same time. If for example I connect my phone, I get "Windows cannot load the device driver for this software" - Often I get the message "One of the USB devices has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it" If I disconnect other USB devices it sometimes fixes the problem. I have eight USB ports on my motherboard, plus a card for another 4. But I can barely use two or three devices simultaneously. I have tried reinstalling the USB drivers for XP, which also fixed the problem once - the next time I 'hot' connected a device I got the errors again.

Is USB just BAD technology (once again?) Does anybody have a solution?

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Ever tried a USB hub?

3. Beeeater

Beeeater Thread Starter

No - should I? How does it differ from a PCI card, or onboard USB ports?

4. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

USB hub connects to one USB port on your computer. On the hub are simply 4-8 USB ports in which you connect your peripheral devices to. Try it.

5. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Beeeater It may be worth obtaining and running Everest Home, this analysis program has a computer > sensors page which may be helpful in seeing what is happening.
    Hopefully temperature and voltage readings will be present, you might copy and paste the readings here when all the devices that work are plugged in.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

We would be especially loking at the +5 volt reading.
    qldit.

6. Beeeater

Beeeater Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, I have downloaded Everest, what info do you need?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Forget the advice about the hub, that's not going to solve any problems for you. The only reason to use a hub is because you don't have enough USB ports, it's always better to connect a USB device directly to the USB controller ports.

Have you tried my USB Refresh process?

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

8. Beeeater

Beeeater Thread Starter

Thanks for that, JohnWill - I followed your advice (removed 98 generic volume entries, plus a whole lot of other greyed out junk entries from other places) and reconnected - All working! A fine job.
    Now perhaps you can tell me why my USB Bluetooth dongle and my Nokia 6680 won't talk? They see each other and pair, but I get a message saying "cannot authenticate the phone" from the Nokia software. It used to work, and still does under Vista.

9. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Beeeater, if you go to computer > sensors (it shows temp and voltages hopefully) and copy and paste that particular page here, it may be helpful.

I see you have fixed your other problem with JouhWill's USB remedy.

qldit.

10. Beeeater

Beeeater Thread Starter

thanks Qldit, I will paste the sensor info here anyway, would appreciate it if you could tell me what it means?

Sensor Properties:
    Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)

Temperatures:
    CPU 44 °C (111 °F)
    Seagate ST3250823AS 28 °C (82 °F)
    Seagate ST3250823AS 25 °C (77 °F)
    Seagate ST3120813AS 26 °C (79 °F)

Cooling Fans:
    CPU 3245 RPM
    Power Supply 1241 RPM

Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.30 V
    +2.5 V 2.06 V
    +3.3 V 3.25 V
    +5 V 5.08 V
    +12 V 11.71 V
    VBAT Battery 3.15 V
    Debug Info F 34 FF 88
    Debug Info T 201 254 44
    Debug Info V 51 81 CB BD B7 80 24 (77)

11. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Howdy beeeater ! :)

Your temperatures look OK! :)
    Ask qldit for the analysis for these:

"Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.30 V
    +2.5 V 2.06 V
    +3.3 V 3.25 V
    +5 V 5.08 V
    +12 V 11.71 V
    VBAT Battery 3.15 V
    Debug Info F 34 FF 88
    Debug Info T 201 254 44
    Debug Info V 51 81 CB BD B7 80 24 (77)"

12. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Beeeater, you will notice your tempreatures look very nice, your processor is 44degs C which is lovely, and your drives are delightful.
    Fan Speeds look good, but the 2.5 V voltage could be a worry, the +2.5 appears a bit low at 2.06V, and the voltage that is probably most crucial (the +5V) looks good.
    This particular voltage involves USB items and other intelligent circuits.

So with regard to USB problems I would suggest these voltages are good.
    Of course these measurements are from sensors that may have errors but generally they are reasonably helpful in general diagnosis.

qldit.

13. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Blink182, you will notice your readings are similar to Beeeaters, the 2.5 is for some odd reason low but generally I would suggest these readings are good.
    Notice your +12 V is low, showing 11.71 volts but this voltage is generally not really all that worrying as it is generally only used for motors and things needing grunt!
    This +12 volt reading is commonly low in a lot of machines without any problem.
    The +5 volt is usually the one that needs watching, and in both these cases they show a good healthy +5 volts.

Anytime you see a +5 volt reading below about 4.7 volts you will see common problems with freezes and hangs.
    Remember these readings may not be entirely accurate, but are an excellent guide.
    Cheers, qldit.

14. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

G'day qldit.

I think i have mislead you here. They are not my readings. They are beeeaters.

Howdy beeeater !

Your temperatures look OK!
    Ask qldit for the analysis for these:<-- What i mean here was, for beeeater to ask you about them readings because i had given the result of beeaters temps, but couldnt work out what those meant.

"Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.30 V
    +2.5 V 2.06 V
    +3.3 V 3.25 V
    +5 V 5.08 V
    +12 V 11.71 V
    VBAT Battery 3.15 V
    Debug Info F 34 FF 88
    Debug Info T 201 254 44
    Debug Info V 51 81 CB BD B7 80 24 (77)"

15. Beeeater

Beeeater Thread Starter

Hi JohnWil, appears that I spoke too soon - I am still having USB issues, specifically with my Nokia phone. It will work once, but if I disconnect the phone from the USB cable and then reconnect it later - sometimes only moments later, without changing anything else - the phone is not properly detected. Device manager says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

It is very frustrating. The only reason I am using a USB cable at all is because my perfectly healthy Bluetooth connection to my phone also suddenly went belly-up for no reason whatsoever. I simply can not get it to work no matter what I do.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice