1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB recognizes all peripherals except flash drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PSU31, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PSU31

PSU31 Thread Starter

I am currently unable to access flash drives with any of my USB ports. All of the flash drives tested work properly on other computers. The drive will power on and the taskbar shows a new device has been inserted. I can access the flash drive in the disk management of the control panel. However, even when I assign a new drive letter, the drive will not show up in My Computer.

All USB ports will run peripherals such as external hard drives, printers, etc.

I have updated all drivers and system software.

Any help or advice on a course of action would be greatly appreciated

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

you may have a flash blocker installed ? norton for example , auto run remover blocker ? just a thought????

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. PSU31

PSU31 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies.

I tried disabling AVG, Ad-Aware, and Tune Up Utilities but still no luck.

I cleaned up all old USB remnants. I deleted 76 items. When I re-inserted the flash drive I got the windows message that the device was installed and ready to use. The drive showed up in USBDeview but I am still unable to access the drive. I tried to use the USBDeview functions but couldn't access the drive

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!