1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB SATA cable, issues reading old internal HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1874, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1874

1874 Thread Starter

Hi, After finally connecting a cheap USB to SATA cable to my old internal HDD from my dead laptop.
    I am still having issues reading the disk on my new laptop.
    The HDD is powered by the cable (light stays on) and reads the drive (another light flashes) but

A) The connections seems to come and go and my new laptop opens up new pages and jumps from E: System Reserved and F: Local Disk drives on its own.

B) When I can get it to stay on long enough, I go to Users, then Admin but it says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click continue to permanently get access to this folder" So I click Continue, but then it states "You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security.tab"

C) When I click on Security.tab one of two things happen, either it states "F:\Users\Admin The system cannot find the drive specified" OR a new popup window does open, but no matter what I try to do I still cant get access to the actual files on the HDD

Any ideas please, and please speak like you are dealing with a five year old child

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

In the Security tab. Click on Advanced , then change the Owner of the folder to your account. Then give your account Full access rights.

3. 1874

1874 Thread Starter

Thank you, I will try this when I have ordered a new cable as I cannot even open the hard drive anymore.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice