1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Scanner Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wolfworx, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

My USB scanner (Artec AS6U) recent refused to work under win2k.

Two years ago, when I switched from Win98 to Win2K I discovered that I needed a new driver to get the scanner to work under the newer O/S.

I found a Win2K driver, installed it and got the scanner working.

Last week I discovered that the O/S refused to recognize my scanner.

I tried rebooting several times, but the problem persisted. So I tried re-installing the driver.

I now get the following message with driver installation:

"The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (code 31)."

I have tried deleting the scanner from device manager and rebooting. Win2K finds the device on reboot, but driver installation continues to result in the above message.

I have tried switching the USB port, but the results were the same.

The scanner still works fine under Win98 -- I switched hard drives back to an old Win98 drive to test this fact, so it is NOT a hardware problem.

I believe that, perhaps there is a corrupted driver file that Win2K persists in using -- I got a fresh driver to try, but still, no luck.

Is there anything else that could be clobbering the driver installation? I am about ready to junk a perfectly good scanner for one that will work under Win2K and WinXP. :mad:

2. dai

dai

try deleteing the scanner
    reboot in safe mode and install the drivers
    thenreboot normally and let it install the scanner

3. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. Unfortunately Win2K still does not like my scanner and will not install a good driver. BTW what is a "code 31"?

4. dai

dai

5. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've been there. Unfortunately, http://www.artecusa.com/usb-scanner-driver.html does not list my Artec model AS6U so I could find no drivers there. I found my driver at driverguide.com. It did work when I installed it a couple of years ago. This is a recent problem. Something seems to be keeping the driver from being reloaded. At present I can only run my scanner under Win98. :mad: Bummer!

6. dai

dai

try 1236usb from that site

7. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion... but, no help.
    The file this driver downloads is "U2kxp_v292.exe". It runs without error and reports successful installation but it does not appear to have any effect on my scanner whatsoever. I tried it with many variations of uninstall, reboot, install etc. Alas, no luck. :( I'm still getting a code 31, whatever that is.

Anyway, I appreciate your help in this frustrating matter.

8. dai

dai

code 31 i think is cannot load drivers
    i had to get another scanner when i went to xp because of the same problem
    try contacting artec support for a driver recommendation

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice