1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB/Serial port enumeration

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by danno101, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danno101

danno101 Thread Starter

I have peripherals that attach via USB/serial cable. Each time I plug into a USB port, apparently XP is assigning another Com # to it. The peripheral software can only be configured up to Com10. The only USB ports in constant use are printer, mouse, and scanner. These are always connected. I can go into the device manager to access the ports and try to reassign a lower com # but the port is being reported as "in use" rendering it unavailable for anything. How do I clean these out or reset com #'s ? or stop the enumeration process ?
    I have, in safe mode, tried to remove all USB ports, hub controllers and serial ports for the pc. I have also removed all instances of the drivers for the serial/usb ports as well as the software requiring it use. Upon restarting, all ports are reinstalled including the phantom ones. XP insists on remembering.......
    Thanks in advance for any guidance here.......
    :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/788554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice