1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB slots will not read any devices...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pilotpete9000, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pilotpete9000

pilotpete9000 Thread Starter

Hello All,
    I'm new to this forum and greatly appreciate the help.
    I have a 2003 vintage HP notebook model ZE 4200 with windows xp home ed. The original 40 GB hard drive locked up and I just replaced with a new drive, now 80 GB. Had to reinstall XP obviously and all my programs. All works fine except now none of my usb devices will work even after updating drivers. The machine recognizes when a device is plugged in and takes you through the steps to search for and update the drivers but this never works. In the device manager, the plugged-in device will be shown under "other devices" with a yellow question mark. The Universal Serial Bus controller checks out normal after trouble shooting. The system BIOS is current, recognizes the new 80 GB HD and USB is enabled. I'm at a loss for what to try next.
    Thanks

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

did you install chipset drivers unique to that machine?

3. pilotpete9000

Hi,
    Thanks for the response....No I did not. I searched for all drivers at hp specific to my machine and could not find "chipset drivers". Can you explain how this works?
    Thanks

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i don't have any hp stuff but each and every dell we have, pc's/desktops, all have chip sets and other drivers unique to the machine by service tag.

the machines would boot but only one usb slot would would work until chip set drivers were downloaded along with nic, video and sound for full capability.

i downloaded the various drivers to the usb stick and installed from the stick.

5. pilotpete9000

Chipset drivers was the answer!!! Thanks. Got with HP's support live chat at no charge and they provided a source for the drivers. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you're welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice