1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rockballad, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rockballad

rockballad Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a USB 2.0, in theory, the max speed of it is 480Mbps. I also know that this speed has to be shared to other devices (USB mouse, ...) so the real speed is much lower. My USB reached 7000-9000 Mbps before. But once I formated it (to make bootable device), the speed slowed down, only 1000-2000 Mbps. Is there any software or approach to recover the original speed to the USB?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The real speed of USB will depend on the controller on the other end. What are you connecting to?

I've benchmarked a number of USB hard disks on my systems here, and the average around 20mbytes/sec throughput, that's as good as it gets. Even though the raw speed of IEEE-1394 is slower than USB 2.0, Firewire disks typically hit close to 30mbyte/sec, due to the greater use of hardware assist in the Firewire controllers.

You need to be a lot more specific as to what you're measuring and how.

3. rockballad

rockballad Thread Starter

Hello JohnWill,

I'm not very sure about "the controller on the other end", but it's just a USB Mass Storage Device - Generic USB Flash Disk, or a thumb disk, 1GB.

Would you tell me what tool I have to use to benchmark the USB speed first?

Thanks,

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A USB FLASH disk is limited by the speed of the FLASH memory chips, and rarely comes close to saturating the bandwidth of the USB channel. Some can be as slow as 1 mbyte/sec, and I've seen them in the 15 mbyte/sec range. Also, write speeds are usually slower than read speeds on USB FLASH disks.

How did you format it to make it bootable? That seems to be the issue here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice