1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB stick doesn't show up on desktop

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by karambos, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karambos

karambos Thread Starter

Mac dual 1GHz, Mirror Door Drive, 1,25 GB RAM

I've tried a number of things now and had no success. I connected the USB stick to the back of the mac (in a USB port directly) and THEN booted the computer. I could see it in the Apple System Profiler but nowhere else. I tried booting first. Ditto. Tried same thing in all USB ports (powered hub, keyboard, comuter itself). Same each time. In fact, it shows up in the Apple System Profiler no matter which USB port I connect it to - the computer direct, the keyboard or my powered hub.

The option to turn the display of volumes on the desktop is turned ON.

The drive itself is switched ON.

The drive can't have expired, it's brand new. Apart from that, it works under windows

If I open Disk Utility I see absolutely nada. No hard drives, no usb drives. Zilch. It just says "Select a disk or volume" but there is nothing in the list, not even my hard drives.

When I pull the USB stick OUT again I always get this message: "You have attached a drive that is not compatible with OSX. To continue with drive inserted click ignore".

Incidentally, I can access the drive under windoze and I can save things on it and delete them. I can also reformat it. The choices are FAT, NTFS or FAT32. Would reformatting ithe drive on a windoze machine help matters?

I am, as always, grateful for any help on this issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice