1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Usb stick-No file found (satellite box)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Derek58, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Derek58

Derek58 Thread Starter

Hello, new to forum. I am trying to update my free to air satellite box with latest software. Using a usb stick. When stick is in computer, it shows all files on stick. When I put usb in satellite box, no file found? The instructions on site says format must be fat32 and unzipped. Any thoughts?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Derek58, and welcome to TSG.

1) Did you confirm that the USB memory stick is in fact FAT32 formatted?

2) Did you make sure that the update file(s) is/are unzipped on the USB memory stick? Are they in the root directory or a sub-directory? Do the update instructions state the files need to be in the root or a specifically named sub-directory?

3. Derek58

Derek58 Thread Starter

Yes, stick is formatted in 32. This file needs to be in root directory and unzipped. I am not sure how to do this. My computer knowledge is very limited. I need instructions on how to do and check this. Thanks for fast response!

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    First off, are you sure you downloaded the file(s) files from the satalite company's web site and not some site that claims they have the files you desire? Don't want to be installing any virus or malware laden software.

Did you download a single file? If so, did it have a .ZIP, .EXE, or some other filename extension?

If it has a .ZIP extension, what happens if you double click on it?

5. Derek58

Derek58 Thread Starter

It is a single file. It says zip.archive and unpacked size. It also says - file folder. Could it be that the file folder is causing problem? It does not know where it is located? I tried extract file to the usb sticker in computer. I tried to just send it to usb stick. Could it be that I need to rename it?

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If it is accessible to anyone can you please provide a link to the page that allows you to download the file?

What version of Windows are you running?

7. Derek58

Derek58 Thread Starter

It is a private forum. I am using windows 10.

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

In the folder you downloaded the Zipped file to, You have to unzip it and only copy the unzipped files to the USB stick.

9. Derek58

Derek58 Thread Starter

How might I do this?

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Delete everything on the Usb stick
    Copy the zip file onto the Usb stick and double-click on it
    In the new window delete everything after the X:\ where X stands for the letter of your Usb stick (don't change it to X !)
    Click on Extract, the files/folders in the zip file will be extracted onto the Usb stick.
    Check that they did copy onto the stick ok, if yes delete the zip file.
    Done.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice