1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB stick not big enough???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by montemag, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. montemag

montemag Thread Starter

I just purchased and received a 64 GB USB cruzer stick for my computer- I purchased that size because my son just got married and I am transferring over his pics and video from my computer hard drive to the USB stick to save the space on my computers hard drive. The picture file was 9.91 GB and the video file is 19.8 Gb-- on the properties button of the file it says this- size on disc- 19.8 GB (21,310,193,664 bytes)..
    I moved over the picture file with no problem BUT when I try to move over the video file it says not enough storage to accept it. BUT I bought this 64 GB size so that I would have no problem with these 2 large files?? Why is this happening? Any ideas?? And yet the stick says after moving over the pictures only file- that there is still over 45 GB free space on the stick??? So why is is not allowing the video file of 19.8 GB to be moved to it as well???
    I even deleted the pics and started from scratch and it still would not accept the video file??

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is the flash drive formatted as FAT32 or NTFS?
    Be sure and have more than one copy of the data. Data you do not have at least two copies [on separate media] is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose said data.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I concur with crjdriver.
    Make sure that flash drive is formatted in NTFS.
    Make sure you have at least 2 reliable copies of those photos and videos.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. kenbok51

kenbok51

Most flash drives do come formatted as fat32 which has a 4gig limit in file sizes it can except (that's file size not folder size). When you go to format the drive, if there is no selection to format as NTFS in the drop down you have to go into the drives properties (right click the drive letter) and select the hardware tab. Then highlight the drive in the list and click the properties button below and set the Policies tab to "Optimize for Performance" and then NTFS can be selected in the format window drop down. After the drive is formatted as NTFS you can change the policies back to Optimize for Quick Removal if you want.

Here is another method with screen shots to walk you through the procedure:
    http://www.ntfs.com/quest22.htm

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice