Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

USB stops working after Intel Chipset drivers installed

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
So apparently this is a known issue

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921411

That's great, but this a newer dell which only has USB so there is no way to install the Hotfix. Is it possible that I can just delete all the USB drivers from the system32/drivers directory and replace them with the Windows generic drivers to get it functional again or will that not work?

#2 ·
Could you please be more specific about the problem you have? Why can't you install the hotfix? Can't you just install from a cd or download it?:confused:

I had a problem that could be similar to yours.
After installing the intel .inf drivers for my chipset (p965) all the "usb root hub" devices appeared with a yellow ! on device manager. I didn't get a hotfix, I just uninstalled them via device manager and rebooted. They installed fine, probably using the windows generic drivers and working fine since then with whatever I plug on them!:)

#4 ·
Could you please be more specific about the problem you have? Why can't you install the hotfix? Can't you just install from a cd or download it?:confused:

I had a problem that could be similar to yours.
After installing the intel .inf drivers for my chipset (p965) all the "usb root hub" devices appeared with a yellow ! on device manager. I didn't get a hotfix, I just uninstalled them via device manager and rebooted. They installed fine, probably using the windows generic drivers and working fine since then with whatever I plug on them!:)
OK, I have no keyboard and no mouse because they are USB and the system has no PS2 ports so I can't click on anything to install.

crjdriver said:
System restore to a date prior to installing the chipset drivers.
The system was installed fresh about 10 minutes prior to insalling the chipset drivers, so unless intels installation makes a restore point I don't think there is one to restore from. However, if there is, can a restore be done from the recovery console?

#5 ·
Windows usually makes a restore point for every driver install. There is no "approved" method for running system restore from the RC however you can run it from a cmd prompt. Start windows in safe mode/command prompt. Here is the MSKB article that will give detailed instructions. I would think your usb devices would work in safe mode; at least it is worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.